Base Mod Content Thread: Palettes

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

ç i p h é r
Retired

Base Mod Content Thread: Palettes

Post by ç i p h é r »

This post will summarize all palette (categories) suggestions for the NWN2 ALFA Base Mod. General and specific suggestions welcome but please read the summary before suggesting anything which has already been noted. Assume that the baseline is what currently exists for ALFA under NWN1.

Thank you.

Summary

The hopes are that we can edit the pallette names on an individual basis thus creating the diversity needed at the mod level with the custom pallettes. Barring that a quick review of what is not being used and suggestions for new pallettes. The following is a short list of new pallettes that we may want.

*Notable NPCs
*generic/custom sounds pallette. (This will include a generic sound triggers as well as invisible objects that can call up sounds. Appropriate documentation on how to reference and add the correct sounds to the generics should be added in the comments section of the items.)
*food, drinks, trinckets pallettes
*Kozakuran Weapons (or exotic weapons not falling under the exotic weapon proficiency), Tools, Magic items...weapons/armor.
*subset for scrolls..arcane..divine...then druid/ranger perhaps
*clothing could be seperated better (you could have merchant clothing, NPC worn clothing, Named clothing...basically something that seperates merchant sold items from NPC worn stuff. add the two together and it gets hard to edit. )
*Another set of 8or9 blank pallettes that can be named or used for whatevers.
Last edited by ç i p h é r on Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hypervx
Shambling Zombie

Post by hypervx »

What about different custom special palette for each server?

Something like:

Special 01-09 for general purpose
Special 10-19 for server 01
Special 20-29 for server 02
etc etc
PC: Nylen (TSM)

Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Interesting thought. I don't expect we'll be populating server specific content in the base mod though as that will needlessly bloat modules, so a "special" palette category would already, in effect, be reserved for module specific content. So the only question is, do we need more or better defined sub categories?

I've personally always found the "special" category too obscure to be of much use, but if we can be more specific about what goes in there, it might help builders organize content better (and more consistently). I can't think of what might go in "special" that wouldn't already fit somewhere else though.

Opinions wanted.
Baalster
Brown Bear

Post by Baalster »

I believe we came along way when we changed the palette for hak 2.6 and 3.0. It worked well. Question is if it could be improved.

Baalster
HDM 081 Whitehorn
Castles in the air - they are so easy to take refuge in. And so easy to build, too.
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

someting I would have found helpful would have been to have a sub category COMMONER under the communities. It was rough mixing commoners in with the more useful town NPCs.

I think the custom pallettes is a real individualistic thing. Im sure each builder uses them a bit different then the next. Ill go through it and Im sure I have a couple different thoughts.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

It would help to have global consistency, but you're right OC. There is some degree of individual preference involved, although that might have to do with the ambiguity of some of the categories or the limitations in the current palette categories.

Once we go through and review the suggestions for improvement (if there are any), we can also put forth a recommendation as to what should go where to encourage more organizational consistency between modules. That can come out of the Building Mechanics group (which I believe, interestingly enough, I volunteered for).
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

So I suppose it is not practical to make the pallette labels..such as special1 where when you can change it to read DEMONS OF THE NINE HELLS..instaed of just special..? That would be a nice feature. Then we can leave as many generic labels in there as needed. This would be nice in that if two people building on a same mod used the same pallette if it were labeled differently then they would auto seperate into seperate categories. I think how it is they would get mixed and might take some work to unmix. Take some or all or none of that into consideration. I dont know the limits of the pallette and what we can do to it.

Other than that the only one I can see right off hand is no idea why plants and oozes have there own pallettes when all the rest of the monsters are stuffed into categories under monsters. Very minor though.
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

a generic/custom sounds pallette.

This will include a generic sound triggers as well as invisible objects that can call up sounds. Appropriate documentation on how to reference and add the correct sounds to the generics should be added in the comments section of the items.
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

I think the items pallette need a revmp. Thats the one im having the most trouble with it being stuffed full.

So more customizable slots in the items pallette.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Any specifics in mind?
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

food, drinks, trinckets for starters..

we could also make room for magical gear..whether thats a one box pallette or we expand it with subgroups...rings,amulets wands staves etc..is up to us..

clothing could be seperated better but dont know how many people care. But you could have merchant clothing, NPC worn clothing, Named clothing...basically something that seperates merchant sold items from NPC worn stuff. add the two together and it gets hard to edit.

and another set of 8or9 blank pallettes that can be named or used for whatevers.

I can refine those more but thats from off the top of my head..
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

Kozakuran Weapons (or exotic weapons not falling under the exotic weapon proficiency), Tools, Magic items...weapons/armor.
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

subset for scrolls..arcane..divine...then druid/ranger perhaps? If memory serves me correct clerics cant cast barkskin unless it is in there domain powers why should they get the scroll ?
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

thread summarized
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

ALFA Doors

we will have both generic door blueprints as well as naming/numbering our doors so that we can match them easily. Thus a pallette for ALFA doors. I forsee this one growing as the game ages and new door styles are added through custom content.