Base Mod Content Thread: Creatures

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Thangorn
Haste Bear

Post by Thangorn »

Fionn wrote: For those builders that choose to use this functionality of NESS (I'd say make it default), +/- 2 stats should also bump up or down the size if we can.
Theoretically, this would work best by adding a new custom flag to the NESS scripts that does this, so builders can choose to turn it on or off at particular spawn points, the bad news is, I've had no luck using the new custom spawn flag functionality that is currently available with NESS. I would really love to meet someone who has..

Thered be other ways to do it, but that way would be oh so clean and elegant..
On indefinite real life hiatus

[22:52] <Veilan> obviously something sinister must be afoot if a DM does not have his social security number in his avatar name!
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

Ill be on the critter side of things. That is one of my big reasons for being on this committee.
NickD
Beholder

Post by NickD »

A lot of this seems to be on the assumption that the AI in NWN2 will be the same as the AI in NWN. While I agree that it's best to get something ready in case NWN2 has stupid AI, we shouldn't write off what the game comes shipped with.
Current PCs:
NWN1: Soppi Widenbottle, High Priestess of Yondalla.
NWN2: Gruuhilda, Tree Hugging Half-Orc
Cassiel
Wyvern

Post by Cassiel »

Would the right honourable sorts consider calling *all* monsters generic names? So that an orc with cleric levels is called simply "Orc", like all the others, rather than "Orc shaman"?

They're still easy to differentiate by CR in the palette, and it makes encounters that much more exciting. In addition, it seems unfair to paint big meta targets on the dangerous monsters...
:: http://www.torilite.net ::

Time is not your enemy, forever is.
--Fall-From-Grace
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

For things close to the generic mob, I like this system. For the higher CR mobs that deviate from normal, it's really hard to make an Orc Shamen look like an Orc Shamen unless you've got a scout that can litterally walk up and look at his belt pouches.

In the DM Client, I happen to know that the first CR3 Kobold is the Sorc, and the second CR3 is the tank, but other DMs won't. For this reason, and above, I like having some variety for what is an 'Orc', and even using NESS to spice that up further, but we shouldn't expect every DM not to name their shamens.

I'm of the opinion we should avoid class names however. Goblin Archer covers Humanoid1 with a bow through Fighter 5 with a bow. Goblin Sniper may be Rog5 with a bow or even Rog/Assasin.
PC: Bot (WD)

Code: Select all

-----          -----          -----          -----
    /     \        /     \        /     \        /     \
   /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /
   |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
  *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *|
_)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_(
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

Would the right honourable sorts consider calling *all* monsters generic names? So that an orc with cleric levels is called simply "Orc", like all the others, rather than "Orc shaman"?
Will do everything possible to add to the game setting. Dont expect anything less than both options as its as easy as *edit copy* currently.
Thangorn
Haste Bear

Post by Thangorn »

NickD wrote: A lot of this seems to be on the assumption that the AI in NWN2 will be the same as the AI in NWN.
Of course, I agree with you... Updating AJAI is a smart backup plan though..

as long as the end user functionality of NWN2 allows the kind of "behavioural realism" we desire in ALFA and allows the full host of monster properites, theres no reason we shouldnt use it.

It would be a lot simpler if the shipped AI did do everything, but if AI was hard-coded, that would be a pain in the arse.. too hard to make your own custom tweaks, which is why I suspect the NWN2 developers will work with a modular system similar to the current AI events but hopefully better.

doesnt hurt to have a fall back position for us if the AI setup is no better..

Oh and I would consider a system where there are no monster names at all unless you pass a successful lore check or something.. would be nice rp for clueless njubs (of course most alfans would know critters by sight anyhoo so probably useless)..

The reason why I suspect this will be possible is because SetName() already is coming in the 1.67 patch for NWN1, and due to the push by the NWN community to get devs to add it to NWN2, I reckon it will be in.

[22:52] <Veilan> obviously something sinister must be afoot if a DM does not have his social security number in his avatar name!
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

On the name issue, it's possible, if not likely, that the TAG of the mob is included in the DM CLient palette, allowing for generic names, but detailed tags.
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

indio wrote:On the name issue, it's possible, if not likely, that the TAG of the mob is included in the DM CLient palette, allowing for generic names, but detailed tags.
I would vastly prefer this, but we are slaves to the PtB

Thangorn
Haste Bear

Post by Thangorn »

yep thats the way it works now, reduces functionality in the DM client if they didnt build NWN2 with it so I doubt theyd not put it in.

the system I'm thinking of, the DMs can see the name of the critter but when they spawn, the AI rolls the check and if the PC fails, the creature comes up with no name, if they pass, they get generic, if they roll high, they get the exact name..

anyway.. an idea for consideration. Perhaps if it were a lore check + level thatd make it more "realistic"..
Last edited by Thangorn on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Cool concept, Than.
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

indio wrote:Cool concept, Than.
actually, all we'd need is SetName(object oTarget) and we could do that now. Problem is, it would be shown to *all* players. It would be much harder to set it per player, and up our resource requirements - thus I doubt we'll see support for such a system from BW.

indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Wouldn't it be an OnPerception check for each player?
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

indio wrote:Wouldn't it be an OnPerception check for each player?
That is how I would do it. Presuming a PC makes it, how do you alter the mob name for *them only*?

Thangorn
Haste Bear

Post by Thangorn »

hmm.. true all players would see it if they had a high levs, high lore person there because set name would set it on the creature itself.. but it saves that PC having to type "ORCS! WATCH OUT FOR THE SHAMAN and THAT BIG ONE LOOKS LIKE THE CHIEF!" :)

might be a nice, less painful system for people.. would make soloing a lot more dangerous too.. "Geez I wish Hignar was here, then I'd know what that ugly looking "thing" is barrelling toward me" :)
fionn wrote: how do you alter the mob name for *them only*?
only way I could think to do it would be, SendMessageToPC.