Base Mod Content Thread: Creatures

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Wynna
Dungeon Master

Base Mod Content Thread: Creatures

Post by Wynna »

This post will summarize all creature suggestions for the NWN2 ALFA Base Mod. General and specific suggestions welcome but please read the summary before suggesting new creatures or their specific details.

Thank you.

Policy

*Erfs, haks or a little of both?
*The following creatures would be static, and variations by server could be CR +-2?

Summary

*MM I - IV
*Draconomicon
*Fiend Folio
*Libris Mortis
*Standard Faction representatives (Extrapolated from Cipher's Factions request in the Area thread)
Last edited by Wynna on Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Enjoy the game
Wynna
Dungeon Master

Post by Wynna »

Monster Manual
Enjoy the game
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

Libris Mortis :twisted:

(yes Im volunteering)
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

MM II
Draconomicon
Twiggy
Wyvern

Post by Twiggy »

Suggestion:

Do not put creatures, especially NPCs, in the haks. In the current toolset you cannot alter a creature that is part of the hak pack. Factions, appearance, inventory, etc cannot be changed without creating a new creature. The current basemod has a slew of NPCs that are more or less useless for this reason. Making a creature erf would be more efficient.
Magile wrote:
Lusipher
Talon of Tiamat

Post by Lusipher »

I agree with Twigs. An Erf would be a lot better. Id love to see something done like what Riotnerd was doing with his creatures. All Monster Manual creatures.
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft.

Follow me on Twitter as: Danubus
Grand Fromage
Goon Spy

Post by Grand Fromage »

Yeah, this can be pretty much summed up with an erf of every critter in the game made precisely per its MM entry.
Baalster
Brown Bear

Post by Baalster »

I think we should divide monsters into two categories. Some that should not be changed, and some that should. The first ones goes into the haks, the rest in erfs.

These are things that have the possibility of adding to a module's size. So having a series of mobster template erf's to start with, would be a great asset. Every monster responsibile for each server, would list them and have the erfs of them available for the Alfa Global Monster team, so we don't have to duplicate effort.

Baalster
HDM 081 Whitehorn
Castles in the air - they are so easy to take refuge in. And so easy to build, too.
fluffmonster
Haste Bear

Post by fluffmonster »

One thing I'd like to bring up:

For *static* creatures/mobs...we need a base limit on divergence between what is possible on one server vs. what is possible on another. For example, some kobolds in some places might be a bit tougher than others. But having CR 1/2 kobolds in one place and CR8 kobolds in another is absurd. Let me suggest variance of +/- 4 on the CR across servers as a starting point of dicsussion.
Built: TSM (nwn2) Shining Scroll and Map House (proof anyone can build!)
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

Well, with +/-4 if the base mob is CR4, then you can have CR1/2 on one server and CR8 on another ;) For the *base* mob, I'd stick to +/- 1 or 2. If you want your Kobold King or Priestess to be CR8 with a few levels of something interesting, no worries. If you want your baseline Kobold to be tougher/weaker than normal it should be a minor change (say +2 STR or Weapon Finesse).

AJAI allows you to modify stats (static or random) onSpawn; perhaps NESS (or whatever comes) could do something similar.
PC: Bot (WD)

Code: Select all

-----          -----          -----          -----
    /     \        /     \        /     \        /     \
   /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /
   |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
  *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *|
_)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_(
fluffmonster
Haste Bear

Post by fluffmonster »

an uber king or priestess...you could have it be any CR you want, as long as its run as an NPC. I'm referring to static, non-DM spawns specifically. and yes, +/- 2 is probably better, that gives a 4 CR range.
Built: TSM (nwn2) Shining Scroll and Map House (proof anyone can build!)
Thangorn
Haste Bear

Post by Thangorn »

Loot systems sorted from the get go..

* Random spawning clothes/equipment for stuff like commoners, bandits, humanoids, etc.

* Loot merchants for creatures that are representative of alfa's standards.

* Fully implemented and easy to use diminishing returns for both xp and lewt.

Should probably go in scripts (or elsewhere) but since it pertains to critters/spawns, I thought I'd add it here.
On indefinite real life hiatus

[22:52] <Veilan> obviously something sinister must be afoot if a DM does not have his social security number in his avatar name!
hypervx
Shambling Zombie

Post by hypervx »

Should be AJAI (or whatever) be mandatory for creatures?
PC: Nylen (TSM)

Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Yes. And with a bit more work, I also believe we can apply an improved AI to NPCs so they too act more appropriately in relation to their roles.
Thangorn
Haste Bear

Post by Thangorn »

just to clarify..

are we talking 3.0 or 3.5 creature templates for the base mod?

I favour the latter..

also the building of creature templates can not easily be extricated from custom AI as many of the listed creature properties are only available through scripting..

I've already got -:
* trolls that regen properly and require fire to kill them
* shapechangers & unseelie fey that require silver (or magical weapons of course) to bypass dmg reduction
* displacer beasts that displace properly
* Unicorns that have a constant prot from evil effect.

Just to give you an idea of the kinds of AI scripted creature properties that will require scripting. Hopefully they'll improve on this come NWN2.

Theres really no point in running off scripting a bunch of properties unless you are going to use them with your creature templates is all I'm thinking. Therefore AI and creature template building need a coordinated approach and it likely requires a scripting savvy person to 'finish' each creature template for the base mod.
On indefinite real life hiatus

[22:52] <Veilan> obviously something sinister must be afoot if a DM does not have his social security number in his avatar name!