Base Mod Content Thread: Creatures

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Script sets are easily imported to multiple mobs properties. If it hasn't been discussed yet, I'd suggest we have a complete ABR set of creature property scripts which call the default nwn AI scripts and allows us to add any custom code. I've got a set of those already if they are useful.

So I don't know if anyone's developing a custom death script, but we will need one. We need modified xp code, treasure code and faction code I imagine.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

AcadiusLost wrote:Do we have plans to make a standard creature/npc OnDeath script, which will be added to all ABR creatures?
Yes, and the framework was put in place to support this and more.

All ALFA creatures are preconfigured to use what we've termed ALFA Configuration Files (acf_*), which are local module scripts that invoke the relevant ACR event handlers. Within these event handlers, calls are made to the *required* systems, whether it be AI, Loot, XP, or whatever else. In other words, the entry point into ACR and the appropriate, desired behaviors is the ACF file, and these files are attached to all ALFA blueprints. Therefore, we can very easily add, remove, or change and expand the capabilities in ACR without needing to alter any blueprints. Custom code can be added locally (specific to a module) directly in the ACF file.

Wealth and XP scripts that award players according to ALFA standards still need to be written, although Ronan did write some prototype code already, which you can review in the code repository. (acr_wealth_i and acr_xp_i)
Rusty
Retired

Post by Rusty »

Interesting point was raised about naming creatures by Blackwill.

We're opting to {hide} generic spawn names, but do we want to do this for named NPCs?

My initial reaction has been to say {hide} generic NPCs and name unique NPCs, but this probably needs settling definitively, and soon.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Moving this discussion to the original thread (for context reasons and to avoid cluttering this request thread):

http://www.alandfaraway.org/phpbbforum/ ... 190#417190
Mayhem
Otyugh

Post by Mayhem »

A heads up:

Should skeltons be immune to mind effecting spells?

I've been hitting Skellies in 003 with the warlock "Draining Blast", which gives a will save vs being shaken and slowed, and it is working against them.

Think it might be affecting the zombies too.
*** ANON: has joined #channel
ANON: Mod you have to be one of the dumbest f**ks ive ever met
MOD: hows that ?
ANON: read what I said
ANON: You feel you can ban someone on a whim
MOD: i can, watch this
ANON: its so stupid how much power you think you have
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

Good eye but I believe this covers all undead:

Undead Traits: Undead are immune to mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless it also works on objects or is harmless. They are not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage to its physical ability scores, ability drain, energy drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or death from massive damage. They cannot be raised, and resurrection works only if they are willing.

Now all you have to do is beat the knowledge(religion) check. :P
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

So: possibility 1: The warlock attack is not technically mind-affecting and should be affecting the Skeletons and Zombies (AKA: everything is working fine).

Possibility 2: The skeletons and Zombies don't have their creature skin equipped/with them, so they are not neceiving the immunities that have been prepared for them (my download of the ABR creatures didn't include the skin or creature weapon blueprints)

Possibility 3: The undead have the proper immunities and skins, but this particular warlock attack is not tagged by the system as a "Mind Affecting" spell (does Prot from Evil grant immunity of it, alignment allowing? This is the easiest test of this within the engine).
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

I'll take a look at the file tonight and check to see tht the skins have all their appropriate values.
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

whats the current status on creatures?

what needs to be done? how are things looking?
Wynna
Dungeon Master

Post by Wynna »

I'm no expert, Riot, but I'm guessing that this is a wide-ranging question that nobody but TA has a grasp on. IMO, there can always be more critters and yet we can get by and have gotten by on what we've got. I do know that we've got some groups of monsters that need tinkering (i.e., a whole set of 'hobbits') and occasionally I've reached for an animal that turns out to be McCavity (McCavity's...not there!)

Again, just a guess, but getting set up to build and getting into the guts (so to speak) of the monster list would probably make you (more) the expert on the situation in pretty quick order.

Anybody with more knowledge than me may well invalidate anything and everything I said, except this: Good to have you back!
Enjoy the game
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Re: Base Mod Content Thread: Creatures

Post by paazin »

Does anyone have the outsiders Riot created?

I've been making slimes/oozes for BG, so other people may want these.
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
Castano
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Castano »

ok 3 MS Dms went on a test spree with the campaign creatures. these are their notes: AI seems to be better, but the humanoids need armor and weapons. if we pull these guys in as static content they might be eaten by ALFA PCs.
On playing together: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307 ... 6efFP.html
Useful resource: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

On bad governance: "I intend to bring democracy to this nation, and if anybody stands in my way I will crush him and his family."
You're All a Bunch of Damn Hippies
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

It may be that the armor/weapons they're supposed to have are BG specific and not in the MS mod? We were looking at the two drow raiders and captain types; they all lack armor and the stabber is missing twin short swords so will never stab in spite of his ai name and having weapon focus/twf feats. I believe I've also seen some bandits and orogs that lack armor as well (the orogs might be missing weapons too) - will double check and keep an eye out for more naked mobs.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

Sorry, just noticed this post. Yes, many of the Campaign folder mobs (drow in particular) are equipped with items unique to BG. I had to add the missing resources to TSM from the most recent copy of BG on the DMFTP.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
Stormbring3r
Owlbear

Post by Stormbring3r »

Can we get a Rust Monster? I have been trying to toolset one but have had no luck.
ALFA NWN1 Notable PC's
Jenna Steel (dead)
Marcus Agent of Mask (dead)
NWN2 PC's
Current PC.... Merin (Merry) Gwinkill
Will Menen (Dead)

DM MS