Base Mod Content Thread: Creatures

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: Base Mod Content Thread: Creatures

Post by Brokenbone »

Talking scripts? There's an appearance and one could easily put together an aberration who doesn't happen to rust things when struck or striking. It's something "fair" in terms of scripted behavior which'd be the nightmare. There were NWN1 systems I looked at and eventually gave up on due to new item types, new material dropdowns (which could make someone say "hey that shield was wood not metal, shouldn't have been ruined"), and the general hassle of it being horrible to try to replace things that people say wrongfully got destroyed. The main NWN1 system I am thinking of was cute in that you could leave a trail of metal objects (like sling bullets) for a Rustie to go and chase, rather than PCs.

Maybe there could be a script of "teleport touched things that in cases where save merited, failed save to a pchest for DM to hold onto in case of malfunction..."

Or just unscripted Rusties in DM events where a lot of pausing and dice rolling means taking away metal items during the event.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Stormbring3r wrote:Can we get a Rust Monster? I have been trying to toolset one but have had no luck.
We don't currently have support for rust monsters or a viable path to implement them reasonably-- they're very complex critters to get right, and have all sorts of implications for wealth-regulated worlds like ours, especially ones that haven't attempted to support scripted equipment destruction before. (monster eats your +5 sword... we... we log that, sure? Is that a special alert condition? We probably would want to bring it to DM's attention if a 50,000 gold item left play, so do we send an email or something? If we do, where's the boundary for such an alert? If not, how do we manage the broadly-disruptive impact? Similarly, what happens with items that are supposed to be played as never tarnishing? It's just a nifty RP element for the moment, but if that defeated abilities it would probably mean creating and implementing an Everbright property, and then pricing it. And suddenly a wooden sword is a worthwhile weapon to carry and actually tool because, even though it's awful in regular fights, that's the weapon of choice for a rust monster). -- that's not to say it's impossible, it just means that we can't just drop one in play and say "Huzzah!"

The NWN1 system was a bit broken, even if the items were all tooled correctly, too. We'd probably have to write new or mostly-new stuff, and if I had the testers and available willpower to add a special creature handling to the ACR AI, I'd probably start with dragons or beholders.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Stormbring3r wrote:Can we get a Rust Monster? I have been trying to toolset one but have had no luck.
There is a rust monster 3D model floating around. I know because I added it to Amn couple years back.

As Zelk states we're never going to get it "right" because not only does nwn2 not really support it, but more importantly the kind of blanket equipment destruction sure breaks our gradual wealth buildup and wealth levels assumptions. If we just popped in the srd rust monsters like that, using them by a DM would simply be a punishment against a player whose wealth level the DM doesn't like (wheter it's overwealth "fairly" or not). And in static content any areas of them would just be avoided like the infernal dire plaque.

That said, rust monsters would be a cool DM tool to use in a more campaign-rules fashion: The script on the rust monster could simply send a message to the DM channel: "PC A was touched by a rust monster". DMs can then use their own reason to respond with tempered consequences: E.g. touched once, you need to spend 24 hours to clean up the rust from your armor (just RP consequence), touched 2-5 times costs you touched*X gp to get your gear repaired, touched umpteen times you start to actually see armor destroyed. Metal weapons would see a more harsh consequence if swing at the beast.

I like the likes of rust monster hugely because it gives DMs the option to provide a rp-rich setback that matters but is not death. What is more hilarious than the level 10 tank running in dread while the lvl 3 rogue with a sharp stick kills the monster.

Rust monster is also a very sensitive a RP-o-meter: A PC without ranks in know:dungeoneering doesn't know a rust monster when (s)he sees one for the first time (DC 15 check). I dare a player to RP it right! (And assuming your PC knows because of backstory while still having no know:dungeon ranks is stinking metagaming)
Stormbring3r
Owlbear

Post by Stormbring3r »

That's Cool T.. That is what I am interested in.. When I played on TLR back in AFLA 1.. We encountered one.. it was rather cool and funny to RP being chased out of a dungeon we were not supposed to be in. Rust Monsters are a great RP Creature to use.

They should not be used on a day to day bases but more of a once in a great while just to scare of PC's..
ALFA NWN1 Notable PC's
Jenna Steel (dead)
Marcus Agent of Mask (dead)
NWN2 PC's
Current PC.... Merin (Merry) Gwinkill
Will Menen (Dead)

DM MS
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Yea the model and a heads up to players that if and when a rust monster hits you, there may be a pause, and quick roll for possible rusting of something...etc. That way the DM can also make secret judgement calls before "automatic" rusting of "important" things happens.

I remember on BG ALFA1, my Fighter, head to toe steel, entered "Le Cave of Rust", and 3 or 4 rusties charged. He abrupty about faced, shat himself soggy and BOLTED to the exit, and kept running outside in the old "Knights of Nee" style squeal... "NEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

...they look cute though...

Fought an intellect devourer once too...

What was this thread about again?
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Galadorn wrote: I remember on BG ALFA1, my Fighter, head to toe steel, entered "Le Cave of Rust", and 3 or 4 rusties charged. He abrupty about faced, shat himself soggy and BOLTED to the exit, and kept running outside in the old "Knights of Nee" style squeal... "NEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"
And how many ranks of know:dungeoneering did he have? ;)
(ok, sorry, thread hijack, but couldn't resist)
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

It was next to the exit!

Are you also saying if a PC has no ranks in Knowledge: Dungeoneering, he/she is OOC even entering a cave?

ooly fook
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Galadorn wrote: Are you also saying if a PC has no ranks in Knowledge: Dungeoneering, he/she is OOC even entering a cave?
?really?
Without the knowledge skill the PC doesn't know the abilities of a rust monster until AFTER the metal rusts away. Thus running away screaming is stinking metagaming until the PC has lost the first set of metals ;)
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Absolutely. PC knew what they were i'm pretty sure. OR fought some previously and lost gear. Wouldn't have ran! of course T! I even think they had no "name" tag on top.