Server Proposal: 000 Worldmap (Redux)

For discussion and formation of server proposals and teams.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Re: Server Proposal: 000 Worldmap (Redux)

Post by Dorn »

In stasis till July when I finish a major report IRL. I've done little in the last few months given that and a few other RL things.

Currently I have maps for:
Spine of the world, North sword coast and 70% of high forest and aunoroch desert. Although Heero has said he's doing high forest now which is great.

I have docks almost complete for luskan and WDeep and a few others for combat areas.

Am talking about scripts for encounters and other things ATM.

Will get back to it in July.
If anyone wants to help......let me know:)
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

With the limitations placed upon the project by the nwn2 engine, how many additional areas can we get in there beyond the "main" travel maps?

In a hypothetical example, where I was to offer some help building...

Would it be better to build say, a few minor villages along the way, say for example "Red Larch" and "Triboar", or would the project benefit more from generic "minor village" and "militia outpost"?

Is there scope for both? (both in area limitations, and design vision)
12.August.2015: Never forget.
ElCadaver
Rust Monster

Post by ElCadaver »

I was of the understanding that the world server would be filled with adventuring zones mainly, to give people the chance to explore famous areas not included in the other servers areas.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

A bit of both, but more towards what El Cad said.

I'll post this from the builders forum

To add to the 'blue' perm areas below the north sword coast and high forest i'd thought to build Triboaror Yartat, Waterdeep docks, partt of loudwater..and that's about it. Maybe a perma bedine camp in the desert trail.

The rest would be perm or temporary adventure areas as provided by DMs...or by me i guess for use by DMs.
As an example of the concept, see below.

Stage 1 - travel map (will be done as above for 2 more areas -sword coast and high forest so there are edge to continuous connections with BG/WHL and TSM)
The blue areas are permanant 'local' areas at the beginning accessed thorugh the overland map as per TSM.
Luskan, small gate area and dock area only.
Miribar, external gate an local surrounds area (to enable mines to be plugged in), nothing inside.
Griffons nest, small village and a few hills around.
Bryn Shander, v
(the last two are optional really - just giving some points in the map for interest and possible PC-background links)

The orange areas are ATs to the next overland map.

The red areas are portals to other servers (one to settlestone, one to rivermoot, one in luskan to BG and Moonshaes).

The yellow areas are instances. These are areas that the HDM will attach to the mod on the request of any full DM in ALFA. They will be used for quests. They will be left in the mod afterwards, or removed and stored when memory begins to be a problem. They will contain no static content. These will not be built at this stage (we dont have the resources or need) and i just put the yellow shapes them in as an example of where i thought intersing areas might be. I woudl expect the DMs to build their own areas and send to the HDM to input into the mod.

Only NPCs that exist are a few 'guard' NPCs and tickets sellers for the boats/caravans. No merchants or anything else.

Stage 2) - journey server
Build generic areas (mountain, foothill, road, forest, woodland, river) and use for random encounters (kinda like TSM). Altered in danger level depending on the area (eg high in the mountans, low along the Long Road).
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Gotcha.

I wouldn't mind putting together a good looking dungeon or two (without critters, scripts, or transitions), are there any restrictions I should know about re: area sizes/scope?

I have a neat idea for "Roadhouse + surrounds" + "Burnt down Roadhouse + surrounds" for when that bar fight gets out of control or the raiders come a calling. I'll do that as well. If you want it, its yours, if not, i'm sure someone will.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Rumple C wrote: I wouldn't mind putting together a good looking dungeon or two (without critters, scripts, or transitions), are there any restrictions I should know about re: area sizes/scope?

I have a neat idea for "Roadhouse + surrounds" + "Burnt down Roadhouse + surrounds" for when that bar fight gets out of control or the raiders come a calling. I'll do that as well. If you want it, its yours, if not, i'm sure someone will.
:wtg:

Many of these "generic adventure areas" could plausibly be shared between servers, too, if we're stretched for different versions of essentially the same "generic cave/farm" etc. They are supposed to be dressed up by the DM before dwelwing in anyway, so the same layout doesn't matter that much. Beside, you can always approach from a different angle, porting PCs to the starting point. And at least with caves/dungeons you can use boulder and wall placeables on the DM client to cut it off to different shapes.
Hyme
Brown Bear

Post by Hyme »

I wish this was still being worked on
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

This particular server is no longer being worked on. I downloaded it last week and had a look, to see about restarting it. It is a really interesting project, but I found myself preferring to not use the limited exterior map space for travel. Instead, we are working on a new module, with a similar idea of representing many areas across Faerun. We are still hammering out the details but I hope to post them soon.