Server Proposal: 000 Worldmap (Redux)

For discussion and formation of server proposals and teams.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: Server Proposal: 000 Worldmap (Redux)

Post by Brokenbone »

Region = geographical continuity,

but...

This thing = "greatest hits" postcard locations, of things people maybe passionate about, but don't tag on geographically to each other?

It would've been a tough sell at the beginning of NWN2 with all kinds of teams claiming lovely locales.

Less tough a sell when "it's not likely we're going to see more regions actually realized" (other than WH under Teric).

That is, if someone wanted a Damarran village and a Calimsham oasis and a Chultan obsidian quarry or something (or really, three different builders, one who liked snow, one camels, and one dinosaurs), latch those on to the hodgepodge that maybe this might be. Unless I misunderstand the vision!
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Blindhamsterman
Haste Bear

Post by Blindhamsterman »

all i can say after reading this is:
OoOOOOOoOOOOOoooooh
:eek:
Standards Member

Current PC: Elenaril Avae'Kerym of the Lynx Lodge
<Heero>: yeah for every pc ronan has killed dming, paazin has killed 2 with his spawns
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

So this would be like a regional server - just with the "coolest" raisin-picked locations... and the future warden of all of ALFA's travel?

Mhm, then why not just attach the travel map to an already built server then - Silverymoon would come to mind as it already has a functionining travel map and just needs to extend it.

"Postcard" locations could also be added to the existing servers they are closest too, for now - I'm sure the HDMs would be rather supportive of that.

I quite like the idea of an "infrastructure" server that would include all of ALFA's travel, but by the nature of it it would have to be pretty un-DMed I think, with current DMing rules (and logical sense). But I guess for my own preference it would suffice if all current servers were actually connected to each other.

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

Boom, I find this an interesting proposal, but need to hear a lot more from you on specifics. Please send me a PM or contact me in chat. I'd like to know how you plan to approach this technically.

I don't bite.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
Basilica
Orc Champion

Post by Basilica »

Just as a small FYI, server id zero is already taken in the database. You will need a different server id for this project.
- Basilica
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

Basilica wrote:Just as a small FYI, server id zero is already taken in the database. You will need a different server id for this project.
Yeah, i know. Zelk proposed 999 and it'll work just fine. It's just a good working name.
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

Hi all,

After a few starts and stops we're trying to finalise the worldserver maps for NW faerun at a first instance. Potentially this will lead to 'instances' that DMs can use to run quests into a raft of great canon and non-canon locales areas not coverd by a home server, and also a fun/risk filled travel experience instead of just a portal:)

The scope of stage 1 is evolving depending on resources, team and admins decision on the capacity of alfa to sustaian abother server where PCs 'live' rather than travel in and out of for adventures:
Minimum: travel server with DMs able to load temporary areas for particular quests<--------->Maximum: a 'home' server with focus on expanse rather than detail with some permenant 'life sized' areas and statics/merchants/temples etc

I'd say for astage 1 we're aiming somewhere in the middle/lower end of the scope

But just so you can see the scale i thought i'd post a few pics (ther is some prettying up to do still of course:) ).

Scale of stage 1 - 3 maps connecting the 'home' servers

Map 1 - Spine of the world

Map 1 - Spine of the world (Luskan detail)

Map 2 - Northern Sword Coast

Map 2 - Northern sword coast (Waterdeep to Goldenfields detail)
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
Keryn
Ogre

Post by Keryn »

With the new Seamless Portaling system this will be awesome.

Great work for those doing these areas. The detail and visuals of these Travel Maps are awesome and just shows TSM could benefit from a better built TM, in terms of aesthetics.

These are some examples of TM areas I've found, unfortunately I was never able to contact the guy that made them, because by coincidence, they are in the Marches.

Seems like using normal tree blueprints rescaled worked fairly well. Much like other placeables.
<Kest> "what am i running away from? i dont know but it sounds big and large!!"
---
<@Veilan> I like sausage.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

I had never (or barely?) realized that with seamless portalling, one might wander around within a server, then "seamlessly" go to a travel map, then "seamlessly" be back on the same server. Almost like... fluff around the edges you can wander in and out of. Neat potential.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Basilica
Orc Champion

Post by Basilica »

Yes, that is how it should work, more or less. Just a slightly longer area transition.

Try logging in to quarantine on a server that is not your home server and waiting around for 10 seconds or so to see how it looks. (MS may not yet be updated, TSM/BG are.)
- Basilica
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

I doubt Curm would say no if someone offered to redo the travel map system for TSM. If this manages to replace them, even better, more room for adventuring areas :D
Keryn
Ogre

Post by Keryn »

Swift I am not sure if portailing all the time in between servers is ideal, specially when in DM sessions etc...

Otherwise the 000 project could replace all Travel Maps and leave the servers as area hubs alone. Like silverymoon, moonwood, Setlestone... etc..

Though from what I understand, since I have joined the team, the idea is, to link the existing travel maps making a bridge between servers and allowing to travel Faerun.

Now improving TSM travel maps is a must. And I asked Dorn if he would take up the task to redo TSM map. Otherwise I'll do it myself. I think TSM travel map suffer first of all from ugliness, the bugs are there as well but have not been a major pain. Though each time we enter the TM, it does look quite ugly. And more recent TM have showed it can be diferent and TMs can actually look quite appealing.
<Kest> "what am i running away from? i dont know but it sounds big and large!!"
---
<@Veilan> I like sausage.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

Ok.
lets get the existing areas done before we start carving up curms empire ;)

Seriously though, i think the TSM travel map is a larger scale than the 000 maps.

I think this is the right thing as the 'home server' travel maps should be more immersive than the worldserver.

There is therefore more opportunitiy for beautifying them than the worldserver maps, but also more danger of loading up the server with hih memory needs.

I'll speak to Curm AFTER we finish stage 1 of the world server about what if anything he wants done.
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
Gebb
Dire Badger

Post by Gebb »

This is awesome! Hope it works out.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I am interested in knowing how this is progressing.
12.August.2015: Never forget.