Server Proposal: 000 Worldmap (Redux)

For discussion and formation of server proposals and teams.
boombrakh
Githyanki

Re: Server Proposal: 000 Worldmap (Redux)

Post by boombrakh »

Zelknolf wrote:If you have access to the BG builder forum, Boom, I would suggest the dynamic/ persistent content proposal there as recommended reading. It is much of what Ronan refers to (I believe) in his comment about instanced areas from the database, and its end state would at least significantly alter the shape of a server like this (but it would also offer significant support and resources to a server like this).
Sadly though, since I resigned as a BG "DM", I don't have access to it. But if anyone could send it to me in a PM i'd appreciate it. I'm open to all ideas that would make this as good a server as possible for the suggested purpose.
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

PM Sent.

Boom's inbox need not me spammed any more. ... unless he's into that. Then I guess.... eeeeeeeeh... I don't want to know about it.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

This is a fabulous idea. As far as the "powers that be" I would point out that it actually promotes one of the core Pillars of ALFA:

The Pillars of ALFA

3) Faerunian Scope. ALFA's goal is to span Faerun.

A server like this approximates the ability to span all of Faerun without actually building all of Faerun, which as we know is prohibitive. How awesome would it be for DMs to have access to some of the most famous sites across Faerun in which to run their campaigns and events? A trip to Zhentil Keep! An expedition into Undermountain! The possibilities are endless. This would be extremely useful with respect to "generic areas" as well such as generic dungeons, temples, islands, castles etc. I would make builder contribution to this idea open to everyone. Have a favorite thing you want to build? Submit it to the "server team" and it may be included. I also would not reinvent the wheel. I bet a lot of the most famous areas in Faerun have already been built and posted for use on the Vault, and some of those could be "ALFAtized" and included as well, maybe with not so much effort. Same goes for generic prefabs.

As to the "no DMing where you play rule," since this server seems to be something intended to be used more in the context of specific events or campaigns -- i.e places to be visited rather than a "home server" where PCs reside -- I don't see any good reason why the rule should apply. Obviously, no DM in ALFA is going to insert themself as a player into an event or campaign they are running as a DM. If the DM runs an event in Undermountain, lets say, I don't see any reason why their PC could not then travel to Undermountain on a totally separate unrelated event.

Great idea Boom.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

I have changed me mind again. This does sound nice.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

boombrakh wrote:
Dorn wrote:I like it
:D

Will help if i can, somehow.

http://www.alandfaraway.org/forums/view ... 49#p513349

SUCH a good idea for giving us an 'edge' and also more dungeon opportunities, variable spawns, wandering monsters and all sorts of stuff that would allow people not seeing DMs to see smoe more stuff.
I like your like! Do you want to officially join my unofficial team and thus increasing team size by 50%? We will make greatness! :)
Sure. Let's win.
I shall pm you brilliance
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

Mentioned to Boom a while back that I really like the idea. Liked it back in NWN1 and I like it still now.

I'll bring it before the Admin, if they're not discussing it already.
< Signature Free Zone >
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

Rotku wrote:I'll bring it before the Admin, if they're not discussing it already.
This is great news. Seeing as it's a bureaucratic nightmare to be creative and enthusiastic around here, I'm very pleased to hear that. If there are any hoops needing jumping through, feel free to inform me.

Me and Dorn is typing up a more detailed plan of different stages for the server that we hope will give everyone a better overview over the process. I've already started building the first exterior area. Looks like there will be room enough to actually build an underdark map as well if that is something that the community wants.

Boom out.
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
NESchampion
Staff Head - Documentation

Post by NESchampion »

I like the idea behind this, looking forward to the more detailed plan. :D
Current PC: Olaf - The Silver Marches
Blindhamsterman
Haste Bear

Post by Blindhamsterman »

*is excited*
Standards Member

Current PC: Elenaril Avae'Kerym of the Lynx Lodge
<Heero>: yeah for every pc ronan has killed dming, paazin has killed 2 with his spawns
Hyme
Brown Bear

Post by Hyme »

I love the idea. If you need any help let me know.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

FWIW, I will most likely vote against any admin who does not support both this server and rules changes to allow its DMs to play on it (although I understand DMing may be more limited in this context).

So yeah, I likes it.
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

Team Triple-Oh win (000):

boombrakh
(Head optimist)
To say that I am the driving force behind this isn't quite true. There are so many people who are excited about this, that I feel that I should only be the representative at this point. For ALFA-beaurocracy purposes, i'll be the HDM of the 000-server.
At the moment, im heading up building the actual overland map. I will create the rough exterior overland areas and hopefully someone who is a better toolset artist will make it all purrty!

Dorn
(Roadie)
Dorn is composing the stages that we will present. We will not settle for anything but a fully visioned worldmap. We will not be creating only a "travel map" or an "adventure map" for neither in itself is something that would benefit the community.

Ronan
(Script-kiddie)
Ronan has eagerly joined the triple-oh win team and will head up scripting what is needed to really make this server alive. Hopefully he'll convince other talented people who finds this proposal appealing to join us.

Zelknolf
(Consultant)
Due to the amazing work she does for the already live servers and this community, Zelknolf only joins as a consultant who will add input and be there to help bouncing ideas. We are very glad she agreed to take what little time she has left to give us a hand.

We'd like a forum to start working on stuff so that I don't have to spam this thread with private messages sent to me that need addressing.
pragmatic (adj.)
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Though ultimately, this is still just going to be a server that people log into when they are moving between servers they actually want to play on, correct?
Last edited by Swift on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

If the map represents a bunch of dungeons, it would be a destination.

Same with "town fragments"... stop in Waterdeep and it's (sake of argument) two screens jammed with merchants, couple statics that say "hey go carry this doo dad to Neverwinter" to go visit the fragment of Neverwinter or something.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

So...why not just build a region?

From the OP:
boombrakh wrote:seeing as this shouldn't be a server where people actually spend time playing on other than when they travel or during a DM event that started elsewhere.
This gets my full vote and support, but not more.

If DMs want a particular famous area to send a group through, they can create it and get it temporarily added to existing mods with the HDMs consent.
Last edited by Swift on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.