The Great Rift

For discussion and formation of server proposals and teams.
ElCadaver
Rust Monster

The Great Rift

Post by ElCadaver »

I've been thinking about hosting a server for a long while, and The Great Rift strikes me as an excellent choice for a couple of reasons

Finite number of exterior areas (the great rift)
The ability to have a huge server because most of it would be caves, RWS tiles, with a few exteriors that look like interiors.
A Couple of nice cities
Lots of good info on dwarven and drow ruins and underdark connectivity
The wyrmcaves ...oh yeah! Dragon spawns. Who has hand a chance to take a bunch of heros out lately and kill a dragon?

A Place for Dwarves, drow, grey orcs to hang out.

The ability to use lots of the nasty creatures in the game you don't usually see.

I've decided I'm going to build the exterior maps of the great rift itself (for fun), and then put them for people to look around. If at that stage anyone wants to get on board with the technical stuff and help put a proposal together, we can look at it from there. I can build and do a few basic things with the toolset, but in no way have the know how to setup, run and administrate a server.

Just don't tell my wife. :chin:
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Re: The Great Rift

Post by dergon darkhelm »

I have great camapign memories from The Great Rift....Geo built a chunk of it as the Earthspurs wound down ...lots of fun ! :)
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Lucifer
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Lucifer »

I have NO experience building, coding or with the Toolset..I have no online DM experience and very little PnP Dm experience..most always been a player. I have very little Knowledge of the Great Rift..But I love the Mix of races and their interaction from what I do know..Deep Gnome Traders, Dueregar, Drow, Gold Dwarves, The Portals for emergency travel between The depths and the outside ramparts..this to me means many possibilties for portals to elsewhere or mis-haps. I'm totally geeked about the idea..If there is anything I can aid in...let me know:)
ElCadaver
Rust Monster

Post by ElCadaver »

Lucifer wrote:I have NO experience building, coding or with the Toolset..I have no online DM experience and very little PnP Dm experience..most always been a player. I have very little Knowledge of the Great Rift..But I love the Mix of races and their interaction from what I do know..Deep Gnome Traders, Dueregar, Drow, Gold Dwarves, The Portals for emergency travel between The depths and the outside ramparts..this to me means many possibilties for portals to elsewhere or mis-haps. I'm totally geeked about the idea..If there is anything I can aid in...let me know:)
There are some good posts on the D&D webseite about the various portals (both lost and found). Would most likely be part of the main server quests or significant statics.

Great enthusiasm.. the first thing to do is get support for the project and get some technical boffins on board,, otherwise its just going to be a server full of pretty areas linked by transitions
Wynna
Dungeon Master

Post by Wynna »

My personal opinion is that we've got enough real estate for right now. I'd like to see the server populations spread out, grow and stabilize before pursuing more of ALFA's Manifest Destiny.
Enjoy the game
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Silvy seems pretty full at all times, and you're a kickass builder, ElC. Also, you might get some effects of people who'd like to DM on your new place while maintaining their characters for BG and TSM.

If you get together a decent sized DM team, I'm sure you could make the prospect attractive to Curm, who's the go-to guy :).

If you enjoy building, the worst thing that could happen is that you had fun doing it, and have the areas ready for later / other purposes. Of course, you might even be permitted on occasion to use some areas in other live servers for excursions or the like.
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
ElCadaver
Rust Monster

Post by ElCadaver »

Worldmachine Great Rift Server Area

ElCadaver
Rust Monster

Post by ElCadaver »

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but The great rift is dead. Too much work with all that building. I gave up after many hours of yatting, couldn't get the feel right. But that was long ago.

BUT, I still hold the ambition to one day get a server up and running. My problem is that I am time poor, with my job the way it is.

To that end, I've had an idea. I believe I could make a very nice server for 001 Neverwinter from the huge number of areas in the OC and the 2 expansions, plus *some* areas built to fill in the gaps.

I've been strippng down all areas out of the OC, so they are without scripts, convos, triggers, waypoints spawns or anything, just areas. Stripping these areas down, changing the lighting presets and expanding some of the walkmeshes has proven, quick, easy, and produces excellent quality RP environs, quite a bit of it in line with Faerun canon.

I also see a lot of potential getting nice areas off the NW vault, asking the authors to use them and let them know they will be credited ( maybe a signature on the areas load screen or a plaque on a shop wall). Hey, they might even want to come and join us.

So if someone could tell me how much work exactly I would have to do to get one up and running, and provide a guide ( or some RL guidance), if I'm not put off by that, maybe something could happen.

Oh, and anyone interested in helping lemme know ( especially those who's kung fu is strong).

I've been a member since 2004, know ALFA pretty well, and I really think a server and DM team based in Aus/NZ is a genuine need unfilled within this community. Plenty of Aussie players have left due to no DM love.

Nothing may come of it, but with support, I'm sure it could be done.

ElCad
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

ElCadaver wrote:I've been a member since 2004, know ALFA pretty well, and I really think a server and DM team based in Aus/NZ is a genuine need unfilled within this community. Plenty of Aussie players have left due to no DM love.
Very true.
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

I agree it's a special case given the much smaller player base and need to concentrate.

So how do we do that?

Adopt a server on a 6/12 monthly basis?

Have some fliers and specific thread on the boards and website for Australian/NZ/pacific/SE asian and euro/US shift worker players pointing to the adopted server and discussing the recent 'oceania' adventures?

Update the website back mechanics to make someone goodgling 'nwn2 australia' have ALFA show up at number 1 on the search list?

Use the above two to support 'recruitment' through the websites you've identified?

Suspend the cant DM and play on the same server rule...just for for us ;)
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
ElCadaver
Rust Monster

Post by ElCadaver »

something like getting a feature on Ausgamers might work. Hosting a server in australia might be prohibitively costly given the shambles our internet service is here. but work a look. I did post on the public relations site some D&D based web comics we might get links to.

It wasn't such a problem in nwn1, cause there were many and varied spawns which kept a grop of players busy with no Dm around.It's not the same on the current servers. What we need is flora and fauna.. bugs, critters, things that make the server dangerous and provide a little fun without being plot things
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

When I say 'adopt a server'.....

hang on, lets have a different thread for this disucssion.
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)