Proposal system has failed - server selection team disolve

For discussion and formation of server proposals and teams.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

I'll do an exterior for Waterdeep too. I've got a short fuse for interiors, so I'll handball them to someone else. I'm going to be doing Silvy in a month or so, so it will be good practice. I've got the latest Waterdeep sourcebook, so if you like, send me a map of the 24x24 you want me to build.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

We may be doing the exteriors somewhat different from what you are expecting. More along the lines of an assembly line. I'll try to nail down the particulars with Cipher, but I can see it saving a lot of time by splitting up the work.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

The help would most certainly be welcome if you folks feel that Waterdeep is where our collective focus should be. There's a great deal of talent between the two of you, Indio and Aelred, and we'd be very lucky to have your help.

To be perfectly honest, I think the OAS is of higher priority than Waterdeep. It's the public face of this community and the only way for *new* players to get into ALFA. So if the OAS team is short handed, I propose that we first help them get online.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Maybe Teric can get a thread started in the NWN2 Team Discussion forum to begin allocating some jobs to be done on the OAS. After that we can move to Waterdeep. Let's get a few servers up, hosted, and actively added to. That's the key.

I think Darren said it best...let's do this work with a mind to getting it to beta. It doesn't have to be pretty or perfect. I admit to feelings of inadequacy when Aelred and Teric post thier shots on occasion, but as Teric himself will tell you, it takes a mountain of time to perfect an exterior.
Thangorn
Haste Bear

Post by Thangorn »

thats great you blokes are getting together and helping each other out.. with all due respect I think I'll stick to plugging away at what we've got for Moonsea (new computer next week yay!) as we already have a tonne done, just have to put it all together and iron out some walkmesh bugs..

I'll be happy to build some template interiors if people want them as I'll be working on some generic placeholder interiors for the Moonsea anyway..

but this stuff should probably go in a different thread as this thread was put forth as a proposal to disband the selection team.
On indefinite real life hiatus

[22:52] <Veilan> obviously something sinister must be afoot if a DM does not have his social security number in his avatar name!
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

indio wrote:Maybe Teric can get a thread started in the NWN2 Team Discussion forum to begin allocating some jobs to be done on the OAS. After that we can move to Waterdeep. Let's get a few servers up, hosted, and actively added to. That's the key.
Thanks for the offer, everyone, but I think I'm probably ok for the moment... Most of it is actually built in one form or another - most of what I'm doing is just prettification :) There are a couple of exteriors to create which shouldn't be too stressful (less trees, thank God) but apart from that it's mostly editing. From my perspective I think the OAS does have to be as finished as possible on release - there's no point in opening our "advertising" server and then flannel about how good it's going to be. You will have lost your audience right there.

What I would like to see is when the OAS goes public there should be a good chunk of other servers in Beta (at whatever stage) so that potential recruits can see what they're potentially signing up for. So get back to work, all of you :lol:
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Sounds like the ball's back in Waterdeep's court cipher.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

I'm more than happy to have the extra help. There's plenty to do to bring Waterdeep online.

Indio, Aelred:

Thanks for being so selfless. You're showing a real dedication to ALFA by setting aside your own interests for the moment. What a great team quality that is. Thank you.

I've added the two of you to the 01 group. We can discuss the what and the how on our builder forum so as not to sabotage this thread.
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

Great work guys :)
< Signature Free Zone >
Castano
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Castano »

I fully support any repository for template interiors/exteriors

especially with interiors it is really easy to customize them such that no one can tell they are templates when in-game.

+1 for all the folks who said the toolset is what's driving people away.
On playing together: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307 ... 6efFP.html
Useful resource: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

On bad governance: "I intend to bring democracy to this nation, and if anybody stands in my way I will crush him and his family."
You're All a Bunch of Damn Hippies
Tridisus
Retired

Post by Tridisus »

Now your doing it a much better way! Working together as a collective with 1 server at a time was the idea I put forward back before coach's aggressive stance made the self exiles think of looking elsewhere for our efforts.

Im glad you guys are finally seeing that its the only way forward however im sad in seeing its come about through lack of builders. I would like to chip in my thoughts and ofcourse you can make use of them however. Having got a test server live I feel the cost along the way has been massive, for how small the server is it has just taken sooooo long and this has been down to one big factor interiors. Not only do you have to flesh out interiors, tint and do some nice lighting and the rest but then you have to convert the placeables to environmental and cut them out. Then bug test the place, a bug i recently had to fix was down to double ating doors. Its just so much effort, I love building though and so will trudge on :)
ALFA (2000-??)
Past:
HDM and Builder Chessenta NWN1
DM and Builder Legends of Greyhawk NWN1
DM and Builder Exodus NWN2
Current:
Builder and DM Moonshae's
DM BG and WHL

Smoke me a kipper, I will be back for breakfast!!!
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

We'd love to hear your thoughts of course and gain what we can from your experience and hopefully you can gain something from ours. :)

Ah the double-edged sword of the toolset...
Rick7475
Haste Bear

Post by Rick7475 »

You will all soon be assimilated into the collective ...
Twiggy
Wyvern

Post by Twiggy »

If there's going to be a group push to get 1 server up for testing/playing wouldn't it be better to choose a server that has more diverse geographies than Waterdeep? I reviewed the proposals and everything beyond the city and what is beneath is planned much further along than its initial build. Choosing a server that has rural and urban features to allow a place for more character classes and backgrounds as the first server pushed to Live would be better for bringing in and keeping players IMO. TSF seems a better pick and has the bonus of already being open for Beta testing.
Magile wrote:
Rick7475
Haste Bear

Post by Rick7475 »

Twiggy wrote:If there's going to be a group push to get 1 server up for testing/playing wouldn't it be better to choose a server that has more diverse geographies than Waterdeep? I reviewed the proposals and everything beyond the city and what is beneath is planned much further along than its initial build. Choosing a server that has rural and urban features to allow a place for more character classes and backgrounds as the first server pushed to Live would be better for bringing in and keeping players IMO. TSF seems a better pick and has the bonus of already being open for Beta testing.
I think we are looking at getting both up and going. TSF is farther along and WD needs a bit of a boost.