Intent to build Fields of the Dead

For discussion and formation of server proposals and teams.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Intent to build Fields of the Dead

Post by HEEGZ »

Just wanted to make an initial post that I will be starting up a team to make the areas north of BG around the Fields of the Dead. It can be found in the area which I have marked as 10b:

http://oas.exquisitor.com/NWN2/swordcoast.jpg

If you look at that image, the area I marked 10c is currently being worked on by Ayergo. Also, there is another area I have marked 10a that I am not interested in, but which contains the current area bound by the Daggerford server (hint, hint). Here is an image provided to me by Spiderjones that provides more detail on the area:

http://oas.exquisitor.com/NWN2/server1.jpg

If you are interested in helping me build it, let me know via PM. This is a very preliminary post as I don't have any solid details other than locations at this point. I am just now finishing up the gathering of my sources and organizing the server layout, etc. Thanks for reading and more to come later.

- HEEGZ
Last edited by HEEGZ on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

Good luck with your proposal HEEGZ.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Last edited by HEEGZ on Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

BTW, do you have an idea what your core will be based around? Elturel, Scornubel, Soubar?
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

Boareskyr Bridge:
This forms the starting location and player hub. Volo’s guide gives us the following description

This bridge over the Winding Water was first built by the famous adventurer Boareskyr. Over the centuries, several bridges have stood here, the most recent built after the Time of Troubles. For most of those years, a temporary tent trading city has stood hard by the river crossing. Travelers in the Fields of the Dead are warned not to drink the waters of the Winding Water downstream of
the Bridge or for about half a days travel upstream. They were poisoned during the Time of Troubles in a battle between Cyric and Bhaal. The present Bridge commemorates this event. Statues to the two gods stand at either end of the stone span, which is wide enough for two large wagons to pass each other and has waist-high rampart walls as thick as three adult human males standing together. By tradition, no toll can be charged for crossing the bridge, and no buildings can be erected on it or so as to block a clear road on and off it.

In the past ten or so years, a group of adventurers lead by the warrior Barim Stagwinter and Theskul Mirroreye, priest of Tyr, have begun to work towards making this once-upon-a-time tent-town into a proper trading village. Centered around the Bridgefort – an old rough stone fort, where the adventure party reside, surrounded by a poisoned moat – new buildings are beginning to spring up, catering to travelers. This includes a few make-shift houses of the more wealthy merchants, a fair sized inn and a stable/blacksmiths, as well as many tents.
< Signature Free Zone >
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

Oh, I like this indeed.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I have some good ideas for quite a few of them, however currently leaning towards the Boareskyr Bridge. In addition to Rotku's post:
Volo wrote:Today, Boareskyr Bridge numbers about 70 tents and wagons in summer (plus those visiting caravans), and about half that number in winter. The community exists to provide travellers with food, water, remounts, wagon repairs, and the like. It has evolved into a trading center where goods are exchanged between merchants, or wagons leave one caravan and stop over, awaiting anohter bound for the same destination they're heading for.

The community of Boareskyr Bridge lacks and permanent features except a rough stone fort (known as Bridgefort) surrounded by a now-poisoned moat. Inhabitants can retreat into this structure in the case of heavy winter attacks from trolls, goblinkin, or brigands - a frequent occurance.

Like the similarly makeshift city of Scronubel, wheeling and dealing is the order of the day in Boareskyr Bridge. Law and order is maintained by one's own sword or crossbow.

The law in the Bridge, such as it is, is the word of powerful adventurers-notable the warrior Barim Stagwinter and Theskul Mirroreye, priest of Tyr, and their companions and allies. Barim and Theskul seem to be working toward walling in the Bridge community to make a proper city of it.
ALFA canon for NWN2 occurs 16 years after the report of Volo above. By this point the wall will be finished and a nice starting hub for new players. I plan on providing more details later when I've had some time to read everything Volo has to offer. :wink:

- HEEGZ