NWN2 Project Contributors

For discussion and formation of server proposals and teams.
ç i p h é r
Retired

NWN2 Project Contributors

Post by ç i p h é r »

Are there any guidelines or restrictions on individuals wishing to volunteer for NWN2 work who are not currently approved ADMs? My assumption is that anyone connected to building a server in any way, shape, or form must be considered a DM of that server to avoid exploiting meta knowledge. Therefore, it stands to reason that these individuals wishing to contribute to NWN2 must at some point be approved as DMs.

If this is the right conclusion, at what point will team members need to go through a DM approval process? At what point should they be allowed to contribute or be granted access to the work we're doing? I don't want to make a mess of things or waste anyone's time, so some guidance here from Admin would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

I am not joining as a DM.

I will be building non-interest areas of the Mod (just the villages, roads normal areas not in the middle of forests etc, and passing them on to other to do the scripting/spawns/NPCs etc and adding dungeons etc.

This is for me as much as for them as I want to play there an do not want to know whats going on (i love suprises!) and it will help the DMs concentrate on the more complicated matters of scripting and spawns and designing dungeons and other such things.

So i dont plan on being a DM.

I think for doing what i am there shoudn't be any requirement to become one euther. As the only meta i'll have is the layout of the villages i'm building or the filler areas in between. No knowledge of spawns or cavesd with loot or anything. WHat you say might be so if someone is properly building including everything that will give them a meta advantage. But i wouldn't do that in an area i planned on playing in.

If we watn to be technical you OUCl say that between when i finish my bits and the game goes through testng and is made Live, 30 days would have passed.
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

But whether you're just paving roads or building entire areas with spawns and quests, you still have access to the information, presumably. By DM I don't mean the universally accepted term synonymous with Game Master but the ALFA term, which includes builders (BDMs?), scripters (TDMs?), and whatever else we do to incorporate more division of labor. Call it xDMs.

You're right about the 30 days and I expect that would happen as a matter of course, but there is a formality we have to follow currently so people don't slip through the cracks, intentionally or otherwise. Would this apply to NWN2 and if so, at what point?

Anyway, it's a bit of a twist. I just want to be clear on what rules or formalities would in fact apply here.
Castano
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Castano »

we have allowed player builders in the past....they are just banned from using those areas or playing on the particular server in a way that would result in meta-knowledge being used...e.g. if you let a player plan out a cave or something...they can't take their PCs in there.

Also, we have several players who were HDMs and who built many a mod...

I don't know what the rule is for NWN2, but if the system ain't broke don't fix it.

regardless, if I have to, I will put up anyone on my team for ADM who isn't a DM yet...I was asked to hold off on nominations for the time being however.
On playing together: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307 ... 6efFP.html
Useful resource: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

On bad governance: "I intend to bring democracy to this nation, and if anybody stands in my way I will crush him and his family."
You're All a Bunch of Damn Hippies
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

No probs ciph. If it's just a matter of form then i've no worries with it.
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Re: NWN2 Project Contributors

Post by HEEGZ »

ç i p h é r wrote:Are there any guidelines or restrictions on individuals wishing to volunteer for NWN2 work who are not currently approved ADMs? My assumption is that anyone connected to building a server in any way, shape, or form must be considered a DM of that server to avoid exploiting meta knowledge. Therefore, it stands to reason that these individuals wishing to contribute to NWN2 must at some point be approved as DMs.

If this is the right conclusion, at what point will team members need to go through a DM approval process? At what point should they be allowed to contribute or be granted access to the work we're doing? I don't want to make a mess of things or waste anyone's time, so some guidance here from Admin would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
From what I understood, anyone can join a team and help build. In order to DM I believe Lead has stated all DMs will have to take DM101 class. So I'd assume that after you take the class and a server hits beta you can start DMing on NWN2 ALFA. Also I believe it is currently 30 days from working on a server in any form before you can play on it.
Lusipher
Talon of Tiamat

Post by Lusipher »

Sometime in the future I am going to Dm again here in ALFA for Coldlands and on my own Im going to build a Western Heartlands server for another project.
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft.

Follow me on Twitter as: Danubus