ALFA 25--Server Proposal: Halruaa

For discussion and formation of server proposals and teams.
Amar
Ogre

ALFA 25--Server Proposal: Halruaa

Post by Amar »

Take a month-long break and miss everything!

I have to redesign my proposal given the new SS server area layouts (which by the way, WOULD have fit onto one server. Oh well, expansion later)

Ill have it up on saturday or sunday.
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

Halruaa? Wow, very nice!
Good luck. If I wasn't commited elsewhere this would tickle my interest.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

Amar
Ogre

Post by Amar »

got a little held up from having to work a double.
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

Boo!! Ill shortlist here if your crew is not full Amar. seems SC has dissapeared as well as the Calimport build, Yours is the nearest proposal to there.

:D
Amar
Ogre

Post by Amar »

My crew?

My crew is Rotku and RdW, who have not logged into the Shining South webpage in a long long time.
Amar
Ogre

Post by Amar »

And I have yet to claim any intent of HDMship, im not sure i want that.

and rotku is mainly just interested in the Shaar and Luiren, so i dont think he wants to join in on a Halruaa only project.
RangerDeWood
Ogre

Post by RangerDeWood »

I'm cemented on building/DMing Halruaa in NWN2 wherever it may be. It is by far my favorite area of Faerun and one I plan to stick with however long it takes to get into ALFA. The last server area proposal I saw has Halruaa way down the list for addition, but if noone is willing to HDM it and take the reigns I would be more than happy.
"...a smile that Judas in Hell might be proud of."

Check out my YouTube channel, all you lovely people:
RangerDeWood
Ogre

Post by RangerDeWood »

Alright, my determination to see Halruaa done has lead me to make up my own proposal for it. If a proposal has already been received by Amar, I'd like to see it to see if our views are similar. Regardless, I am putting myself forward as HDM of the Halruaa server since Amar doesn't seem to want to. It's been a just over a week since Amar's last post, so if I hear nothing in the next couple days I'll be sending my own proposal for the server.

This is also a formal invitation for anyone who would like to build or DM Halruaa for ALFA2. Amar included, there's only two and we're going to need more than that.

Amar
Ogre

Post by Amar »

Im hoping to get a copy of the old proposal that was built up for the Shining South, and retract a bunch of it.

EDIT:

If you want to form up your own proposal go for it. Im more than willing to follow your lead. I only spearheaded it because i want to work on it :D

I echo your request for more help though.

Ive stopped everything to do with NWN until NWN2 comes out and I can start building. (though ill DM if ALFA_125 comes back up)
Last edited by Amar on Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amar
Ogre

Post by Amar »

at http://amar.12.forumer.com/index.php you said you would set up a new forum for the halruaa specific discussion. gimme a link :D
RangerDeWood
Ogre

Bowing Out

Post by RangerDeWood »

After a bit of thinking I'm going to step out of building for ALFA2. Just from listening to discusions ranging from density to simply engine limits I have a strong feeling Halruaa will never become an ALFA server. I'll most likely be building my own version of Halruaa for NWN2 outside of ALFA. If such a time comes that a Halruaa is indeed built for ALFA, I'll probably jump on board with any helping they'll need, but until then I'm threw with ALFA2 as anything more than a Player.

Amar
Ogre

Post by Amar »

*thanks to Murky for his outline, I didnt feel like creating my own so i stole his*

Halruaa

In other parts of Faerun, travelers speek of the wonders they have seen in the Shining South. Tales and songs tell of lands scorched by heat, people ruled by drow, traders who could negotiate the name away from an Amnian, and wizards who use magic for tasks mundane to miraculous. The Shining South is a vast place with perhaps the broadest variety of cultures anywhere. Halflings call part of the region home, while in another area half-drow rule and deem others outsiders. The most prominent dwarven abode sits squarely in the South, within the Great Rift, a carved canyon that has belonged to the dwarves for untold centuries. The Shining South is a place of ancient magic kept alive and practiced with casualness that would make a barbarian of the Sliver Marches howl in consternation. Halruaa specifically, being formed by the bloodline of the ancient Netherese themselves, is the epi-center of all magic in the Shining South and possibly in all of Faerun.

Halruaa itself is a nation surrounded by a massive mountain range known as the Walls of Halruaa, leaving only the south unprotected by their soaring peaks. The southern border sits on the coast of the Great Sea. Halruaa stretches 500 miles to the east and west and over 350 miles from the coast to the northern steps of the Walls. The basin consists of wind-washed plains and broad rivers.

The Magical prowess of Halruaa is rivaled only by that of Thay, who already has placed some of their dirtied hands into Halruaan soil. Halruaa is a nation where knowledge means power, and power means knowledge. No magic here is shunned if used in the proper context, and only death awaits those who upset delicate equilibrium of what the Elders consider right and wrong.

Vision
When I think of the Shining South two words come into mind, Vibrant and Colorful. This is something we hope to reflect in the server. No matter where you go or what you see the scenery will draw you in. The server will be recreated to every last detail that can be found in canon, the rest to be ad-libbed via the desires and pleasures of our DM team.

The greatest lengths will go to setting the right mood in each location on the server. You will feel the arrogance wafting off the tips of the tops of the tallest towers. You will inter the Akhlaur Swamp and a wave of dread will wash over you. Rich and detailed sceneries will be the key to both our success, and the player's immersion.

The Server
There will be only two towns and and three "adventure sites" come the live date. Halarahh, and Halagard will be the two finished towns. The Talath Pass (north-western pass leading into Lapaliiya), The Akhlaur Swamp, and The Ruins of Chasolné will be the three adventure sites.

Expansion will first include the south-eastern quadrant of the nation, followed by the West Wall. Then finally stretching over the plains northeast all the way into The Nath (north-eastern pass to Dambrath).

Quests
I must say I am unable to tell you what quests there will be. I guarantee quests with plot, with a story, and with a purpose. I can align them to fit ALFA standards when created. This is all mechanics and doesnt need to be known until they are implemented. What truly needs to be known over the content of the statics is the purpose for them.

The purpose of the static quests on ALFA_25 will be to immerse the players in the server, encourage them to form groups and to explore on their own. It will discourage lingering in taverns, and encourage active play without the need for a DM. There will be deep static involvement with the NPC factions that exist in the region, and at least one extended plotline built into the server itself involving the mysteries of the Aklhaur Swamp. The extended plotline span the players abilities from their weak, incapable level 1 hands to the hardened, wisened adventurers theyll become at later levels.

Spawns
Spawns will be as appropriate to canon and ALFA's regulations. XP rewards will either be on ALFA's regulations or none at all.

Merchants, etc.
Yes, Halruaa is indeed a high-magic area. It is littered with arcana. You will find very little that is not magical in the nation. However magic doesnt necessarily mean adventuring magic. You will find few wizards in the land willing to hand over their +1 Keen Longsword, especially to a foreigner. Magic of all scales is prized in Halruaa, and unless you've got services to trade, youll not likely find much more than masterwork for sale.

The Team
It is difficult to keep a ready and dedicated team to build such a little known and hardly supported region. Builders will come and go, but I have dedication to the project. And others will come along with a similar dedication.

Deadline
ALFA 25 will be incapable of reaching the set deadline for the initial live servers with her current team. I am making the proposal not to be one of the first, but to be one of the eventual servers that will add to ALFAs collection.

Classification
Halruaa is a rural server, but as I stated under deadline, I have no interest in being one of the first four servers to go live.

PS: Yes, this means im putting the foot forward to offer myself as HDM for ALFA_25.
Wynna
Dungeon Master

Post by Wynna »

In my own judgement, I would like to know who the team members will be at the time that building starts. I've no need to project a year or even 6 months into the future, because as Murky states correctly in his own Dalelands, proposal and as I wrote there, too, people come and go. But the beginning team is of vital interest to me. It's impossible to judge how a server can develop without knowing at least how many people are going to be building. Knowing the build team's expertise and history in building/scripting is at least as important as knowing the HDM's expertise and history. Additionally, an indication of who will be RP DMing on the server would be welcome. People come and go, but people also stay, and knowing who intends to RP DM on the server is pretty important, even taking attrition into account during the building months.

Thank you.
Enjoy the game
Amar
Ogre

Post by Amar »

If the proposal is accepted RDW seems willing to rejoin. Otherwise its just me for now.
Amar
Ogre

Post by Amar »

ALFA 25 has hosting issues resolved when they become needed.

1st through one of our own members, and the second through a very talented network administrator whom I am friends with.