ALFA 03--The Savage Frontier

For discussion and formation of server proposals and teams.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Liam, you crack me up.
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

Wynna wrote:Can we stop spamming Indio's thread? This has nothing to do with me wanting this particular brand of spam to expire and be taken off the shelf, of course. *puts on most severe frown imaginable
she gets so testy, but then, I guess I'd be a bit grumpy if I had to sit on an egg all day and night. On a related note, did you know that in phpbb you can split threads, pulling out the pieces you want divorced and putting them into a new thread? phpbb is actually very handy for management but so few people employ the tools.
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Agreed.

One of the nicest mods is the Submenu forums. Little used, but for a forum this size, very handy.
Liam
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Liam »

Duck One wrote:On a related note, did you know that in phpbb you can split threads, pulling out the pieces you want divorced and putting them into a new thread? phpbb is actually very handy for management but so few people employ the tools.
Yup, comes in handy for threads like these :oops:

(PS - did Duck just say he and Wynna are getting divorced?!)
CC Member
--------------------
Ash nazg durbatulúk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Grand Fromage
Goon Spy

Post by Grand Fromage »

Damn the lot of you. I want to play in Calimport but you might force me to start in the Marches with this bunch...
Mayhem
Otyugh

Post by Mayhem »

I'd like to volunteer to help build this area, but I'm not sure I would be noticed under this deluge of spam.

It would be the landscaping only, no scripting or anything remotely complicated. But maybe we can get a production line thing going, with some folk landscaping, and then sending the stuff on the skilled scripters.

I'd like to concentrate on urban areas.
*** ANON: has joined #channel
ANON: Mod you have to be one of the dumbest f**ks ive ever met
MOD: hows that ?
ANON: read what I said
ANON: You feel you can ban someone on a whim
MOD: i can, watch this
ANON: its so stupid how much power you think you have
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

It's highly unlikely I'd miss an offer of help. Duly noted, Mayhem. Good show.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

I'll offer to help mundane non-plot related building for this server to get it operational. Interiors, simple villages etc etc

I intend to play on this server if it gets up so would refuse anything relating to spawns or anything that provides unacceptable meta knowledge. Hell i never played on TSM in ALFA1 so dont wanna lose any of the suprise of the new areas anyways:)

I'm NOT planning on signing up as a DM at all so understand completely if this kinda help isn't what you want. Just something to let the DMs work on the areas that will be plot related.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Noted. Thanks Dorn. A very welcome addition indeed.

If you folks read this and are ready to commit (I'm writing the proposal over the next 2 weeks), please post "In", or somesuch.

Could you then PM your relevant experience for the proposal? Thanks.
Mayhem
Otyugh

Post by Mayhem »

OK - I'm IN, with some Caveats:

During this year, I'll be moving to the UK. So it may depend on *when* the project actually gets underway as to whether I am able to do anything concrete, and how much.

As to relevant experience:

I've now tiled a couple of areas, learning something new each time. How relevant that will be in the new toolset is anyones guess, but I suppose that makes me just as qualified as anyone else ;)

I'd only be doing map-work - I'll build an area (preferably an urban one) and somebody else would then have to add in the scripts etc.
*** ANON: has joined #channel
ANON: Mod you have to be one of the dumbest f**ks ive ever met
MOD: hows that ?
ANON: read what I said
ANON: You feel you can ban someone on a whim
MOD: i can, watch this
ANON: its so stupid how much power you think you have
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Perfect.
Racerblue
Dire Badger

Post by Racerblue »

I am committed to this project, as well as one other.

I will build whatever suits the project best, though I admit prefering to build outdoor areas or small villages...and ruins :D

My toolset experience includes building my own rendition of the Village of Hommlet and it's environs for a campaign I ran for several years on NWC..some work I've done here for Northern Cormyr and Whitehorn. I've also done custom tiles and placeables, something I hope to be able to contribute with NWN2 as well.

Indio and I have discussed my involvement with another ALFA project, and agree that I can be of service to both.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

Ok, i'm IN to. With some caveats (which may lead you to saying 'no thanks' which is fair enough.

1. I'm not joining as a DM and will play on the server when it goes live
2. As such i'll only build external/internal areas which will give me no meta advantage (chosen by you, indio, i'd say) to allow the DMs to concentrate on scripting/spawns/plot and so on rather than repetitious 'shell' building so we can get this awsome place live
3. I have exams in October on top of my new job so will have to study quite a bit before them if it gets to that stage :evil: I'll do what i can but can't work full time on this:)

Building resume in ALFA? not to much but:
1. Wayfarers compound and map on TLR (int/ext)
2. Zelebross on LW2
3. Elven city above Loudwater on LW2

And lots of random building for my own amusement. Like dwarven halls, remaking villages, the odd dungeon etc

Basically i've been told i'm not a terrible builder (ie can make a place look nice with tiles, placeables and lighting etc) and can do minor scripting to make a place workable (ie the chairs sittable, the doors and ATs, the NPCs). I dont know NESS. But unless we want to spawn placeables and maybe commoners walking around i dont think i should be doing spawns anyways....if so i'm sure i can be told quickly.

Preferred areas?
Hmm, well i'll most likely be starting an uthgardt so some of the relative areas perhaps? (Griffons Nest? Beorunna's Well? Grunwald?)

Otherwise if you build a place but dont want to do the inn interiors, castle interiors, temple interiors, home interiors etc then shoot it my way with some canon reference and i'll try and whip it up for you depending on where the major hubs that need doing need work.

As mayhem said:
It would be the landscaping only, no scripting or anything remotely complicated. But maybe we can get a production line thing going, with some folk landscaping, and then sending the stuff on the skilled scripters.
Of course if Admin don't want this kind of input to servers, or Indio would prefer to keep his players completely in the dark about whats coming up then thats cool and i completely understand. Just thought i'd offer to stick an oar in.
Last edited by Dorn on Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ludo
Shambling Zombie

This is the place, but am I the person?

Post by Ludo »

I have a unique underinformed collection of skills and talents to offer. I'm not sure where I'd best fit in. This is where I want to do my kind of play, which leans toward the game design end of things.

At this point I haven't much experience at anything but have tried DMing, teaching, building, scripting and playing.

My major interest would be Silverymoon. I want to stay soft and cuddly, not become hard and suspicious. That's difficult even in Silverymoon.

On the other hand, a small place with lots of nature around it also appeals. After the building, I'll need at least two places, one to DM in and one to play in.
Ludo means "I play." Elm Terese, frozen in TSM - Granny Ludo, occasional OAS DM - occasional moderator
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Thanks Racer and Dorn. I will add you to our proposal in the form you have stated. Dorn, I'd say that at this stage we would all be very welcoming of non-DM builders working on city interiors and other non-plot areas. In fact, it's this sort of generosity that will allow us take a real stab at doing a thorough job. Thanks.

Ludo, to add you to the proposal I will need a decision about where you will build and where you will play. There's no rush, but I will be submitting the proposal by the end of this week so I need to know at some stage. As I've told all people who've added their names to this thread, I am not asking you to join. It is a volunteer project and I am only interested in people willing to volunteer themselves because of their genuine interest.