ALFA 27--Underdark - Eryndlyn

For discussion and formation of server proposals and teams.
Inaubryn
Ogre

ALFA 27--Underdark - Eryndlyn

Post by Inaubryn »

This post was updated from the February date to the current information, as this proposal plan stands for July.

It has been long since decided that I am goin' to be part of the team that will build the underdark city of Eryndlyn. Anybody interested in bein' part of building an underdark server visit this forum here to see all the work that's been done to this point.
Last edited by Inaubryn on Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
"You people have not given Private Pyle the proper motivation! So, from now on, when Private Pyle fucks up... I will not punish him. I will punish all of you! And the way I see it, ladies... you owe me for one jelly donut! Now, get on your faces!"
Faeryl
Ogre

Post by Faeryl »

Chances are high that I'll be offering my time to help build an underdark server. What I build doesn't matter, so long as it's NOT Menzo.

So count me in as part time help on this Inaubryn...if you'll have me.
“Power is holding someone else's fear in your hand and showing it to them.”
Vendrin
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Vendrin »

So far I have been planning to build one of the underdark regions. Though I most likely do wish to start off with Menzo merely because it is the name that will attract the most players but I am not adverse at all to using another.
-Vendrin
<fluff> vendrin is like a drug
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

I endorse your Intent to propose your intent for a proposal. ;)

Glad to see you stepping up, would like to coordinate some stuff with the underdark folk when it comes time. Cheers.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

This is a clear attempt to exploit h0t sXe lesbian Drow to force ALFA to have an UD server. The UD should be a mythical place, and the ability to take my PC there detracts from my immersion. I demand we remove all UD proposals at once!
PC: Bot (WD)

Code: Select all

-----          -----          -----          -----
    /     \        /     \        /     \        /     \
   /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /
   |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
  *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *|
_)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_(
Faeryl
Ogre

Post by Faeryl »

Vendrin wrote:So far I have been planning to build one of the underdark regions. Though I most likely do wish to start off with Menzo merely because it is the name that will attract the most players but I am not adverse at all to using another.
If Menzo and the North Underdark is the region we'll be working on again, I of course won't refuse to add my time to it. I'd just love to sink my teeth into something new and different if at all possible.

*shrugs*

I'll build whatever I'm told to build. :D
Inaubryn
Ogre

Post by Inaubryn »

Well, it's good to have yous guys on board for this. I'm lookin' at a collaborative effort, of course. As far as Menzo, I would shy away from it for a few reasons. A.) Will the new toolset have what we need to properly recreate Menzo? Which, as we know, may be the most difficult UD city to recreate faithfully. B.) Menzo is, of course, the hub of most canon drow stuff as Ven said, but that can be good and/or bad. Maybe it's time for other UD regions/cities to shine.

But, a huge Pro in Menzo's favor is that it is well known and will draw people.

But, I think people will be drawn to almost any UD region if done right. I'm leanin' towards Eyndlyn. It has less canon than either Ched Nasad and Menzo(more rooms for DMs to create), is half the size of Menzo (re: easier to build) and is openly divided between three faiths within the city. Lolth, Vhaeraun and Ghaunadaur faithful all reside within the same space, albeit on different plateaus. I think that would make for some very intriguing plots and gives the drow players, especially, a wider range of choices. And don't worry, I ain't forgot about you duergar and smurfs.

But, possibly more intriguing to build and DM would be the city of Undrek'thoz which is actually a collection of ten drow cities spread across the middle dark beneath Thay. Each city is ruled by a matron mother and their power is checked by a male monastic order known as the Blackened Fist . Each city is different in the way it operates and what it specializes in and they're all connected via portals that prevent metal from passing through them. I can lay out more info on it if anybody wants it.

And let's not forget Sshamath.

The possibilities are plenty providing the toolset gives us something we can use to come close to replicating these places. But, I'm open to discussing what, where, how, and why. I wanna make this a group thing.

And, I know one thing. Regardless of what we all decide to build, it's gonna be an effin' blast workin' with all of the drow lovers, uber builders, ill DMs and killa RPers. I'm seriously lookin' forward to this.
"You people have not given Private Pyle the proper motivation! So, from now on, when Private Pyle fucks up... I will not punish him. I will punish all of you! And the way I see it, ladies... you owe me for one jelly donut! Now, get on your faces!"
Faeryl
Ogre

Post by Faeryl »

Eyndlyn is the city I was thinking of too...for the same reasons that you've already stated Inny.

And yeah. Doing this as a group project will rock!

So, how are we gonna decide which city/region to start with? I'm a softy, and if Ven has his heart set on doing Menzo, I wouldn't be able to say no.

Think I'll let the higher ups decide what to build. I'm back to saying I'll build whatever I'm told to build. :lol:
Thangorn
Haste Bear

Post by Thangorn »

Just a thought.. how about coordinating the initial UD server build with what gets built above ground
eg. If Dales were to get the nod, mebbe a Szith Morcaine Build; If Cormyr was to get the initial nod, perhaps a Sschindrylyn build?

Course if silvy gets built then that makes it hard to avoid building Ched or Menzo.

Anyways.. just a suggestion..
On indefinite real life hiatus

[22:52] <Veilan> obviously something sinister must be afoot if a DM does not have his social security number in his avatar name!
Inaubryn
Ogre

Post by Inaubryn »

I was kinda thinkin' that too for Undrek'thoz if people were gonna build Thay. But, I'm certain somethin' in the North will be built so, Eryndlyn would be more or less beneath that.
Vendrin

Post by Vendrin »

It depends on what we have with the toolset with what we build.

I'd prefer Menzo if we have the tools simply because while it is well known and hands are tied in some regards it is one of the most recognized cannon areas in the Underdark. And once it's built our hands are free with the plots we can run and it'd be nice to be able to put in easter eggs from ALFA 1.

I've had no problems adding new buildings and areas to Ched and I assume with Menzo it will be the same. While major areas are documented in any cannon area the cities are so large you can create new areas which your players can turn into major areas, so you have the places anyone recognizes and places the players know they made equal to or greater to established places.

Now if we don't have the tiles for menzo I doubt we will for any of the other cities, but if not menzo, then I would like to do Guallidurth the drow city under calimsport, It has over 200 noble houses and while the majority of drow(90%) here worship drow, they each do in their own way. So there are many diffrent sects and denominations. It also has a few dwarven and duergar cities/stronghold nearby and at least one of each beholder and illithid settlement.
Inaubryn wrote:But, I think people will be drawn to almost any UD region if done right. I'm leanin' towards Eyndlyn. It has less canon than either Ched Nasad and Menzo(more rooms for DMs to create), is half the size of Menzo (re: easier to build) and is openly divided between three faiths within the city. Lolth, Vhaeraun and Ghaunadaur faithful all reside within the same space, albeit on different plateaus. I think that would make for some very intriguing plots and gives the drow players, especially, a wider range of choices. And don't worry, I ain't forgot about you duergar and smurfs.
Eh... I'm always a bit iffy about open cults of Vhaeraun and Ghaunadaur but I can certainly see it being iffy.
But, possibly more intriguing to build and DM would be the city of Undrek'thoz which is actually a collection of ten drow cities spread across the middle dark beneath Thay. Each city is ruled by a matron mother and their power is checked by a male monastic order known as the Blackened Fist . Each city is different in the way it operates and what it specializes in and they're all connected via portals that prevent metal from passing through them. I can lay out more info on it if anybody wants it.
I'd have to pass on this one. To big and to likely to split up player populations between the diffrent cities.
-Vendrin
Inaubryn
Ogre

Post by Inaubryn »

Actually, Undrek'thoz segments are fairly small and it's basically like one city altogether instead of separate ones. So players can traverse the entirety of it with ease. It would be like goin' thru the different areas of Menzo or some such.
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

Thangorn wrote:Just a thought.. how about coordinating the initial UD server build with what gets built above ground
eg. If Dales were to get the nod, mebbe a Szith Morcaine Build; If Cormyr was to get the initial nod, perhaps a Sschindrylyn build?

Course if silvy gets built then that makes it hard to avoid building Ched or Menzo.

Anyways.. just a suggestion..
I think that's a great point. If server 1 becomes active then the first underdark server should, logically be, the underdark region under server 1.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

Post by Mikayla »

I fully support the idea of Eryndlyn also as it allows drow of different religions (at least three) to co-exist under canon. However, if Eryndlyn is not available, then my second two picks would be Menzo and Guallidurth.

Undrek'thoz I find too remote and the no-metal-through-portals thing gives it a unique flavor I find unappealing in the extreme.
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
Vendrin

Post by Vendrin »

Inaubryn has let me take the reigns of HDM for whatever we choose.

I've set up a forum for working all this out so I'll pm those who have shown interest in this thread, those who have not posted yet can pm me if you wish to join the NU Underdark team.
-Vendrin