ALFA 10--Sword Coast South

For discussion and formation of server proposals and teams.
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

ALFA 10--Sword Coast South

Post by ayergo »

After speaking to the HDM's of Daggerford and Baldurs Gate/Sword Coast, my team intends to build the Sword Coast South (10) area. I hope that Daggerford and south to the Troll hills is removed from the server and added to server 11. Will post proposal draft when ready.
Last edited by ayergo on Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

My focus? the story.

My plan for the server is going to have it really be persistant, the story especially. I am sure we've all seen the "swiss cheese" that can be live DMing, i.e. this DM runs this plot, and if they aren't around the PCs have to pick up a different story line with a different DM. Or worse yet, their NPC friends don't recognize them, the time they saved the city from the odor beast, etc.

My plots will be big enough to encompass (and effect) everyone. Here is the idea in a nutshell:
The biggest point worth mentioning is the way plots will be run. Currently, most servers have each DM run a plot that is their own, and they do not touch the other DM’s plots. This leads to an incongruent server, with each of the PCs in their own little sub-world with no true “persistency” to the world. What i propose is that we all run the same plot. While this may seem impossible, if structured properly it becomes simple and fun. Each DM can just tackle different aspects or angles of the plot, and since all the DMs will be operating with the same general information, we can run plots easily for groups that we do not regularly DM. Let me further illustrate this with an example:

Let’s say our chosen plot is that Bonnie and Clyde stop by the city. They’re shirking the law, stealing things left and right, escaping in the nick of time and hiding out in the woods outside of town.

One DM can cover the cities law enforcement trying to find who’s behind this all.

Another (or the same) DM can cover the disturbances in the woods by their presence.

Another (or the same) DM can cover the thieves guild looking into who is operating behind their back and without paying them their dues.

Another (or the same) DM can cover the bards and others who are idolizing the two in the local media.

Another (or the same) DM can cover the mages who had some important thing stolen by the infamous pair.

The ultra-evil may try to pin other crimes on them, or maybe the good try to bring them to light and repent. All of these from the same plot. We will need to keep each other informed about what is going on, but it will make for a much more interesting and fun server for us all.
If you think you'd like to be a part of this style of DMing, please let me know. It looks like i have a few more openings on the team.
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

ill keep this on my shortlist of choices. (can you tell yet I have not made up my mind)

ps: if you want to check out my style/ability whatever check out the new Thayan enclave as it goes up. :wink:
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

Ayergo - great idea, but find a way to have pNotes in the inventory of your NPCs. I can't very well run the Guild spying on the Watch if I have no idea what the Watch DM is doing.

Once you've got that handled, jump over to the ACR forum and give it to cypher ;)
PC: Bot (WD)

Code: Select all

-----          -----          -----          -----
    /     \        /     \        /     \        /     \
   /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /
   |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
  *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *|
_)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_(
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

Fionn wrote:Ayergo - great idea, but find a way to have pNotes in the inventory of your NPCs. I can't very well run the Guild spying on the Watch if I have no idea what the Watch DM is doing.

Once you've got that handled, jump over to the ACR forum and give it to cypher ;)
Something like this will definitely have to be done, but without yet seeing the toolset i can't tell you the best way to do it. At bare minimum i can keep threads in a forum about NPCs, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

Needs to be Live. I've yet to see the threads get updated by every DM in a timely manner. That also doesn't help if a PC walks up to an NPC and expects to be recognized (without 5 min of /DM "so, this is our history")

We currently have a pNote system. It should be a no-brainer to make one that uses the NPC tag as a DB index. One note object that is auto-created onSpawn for all NPCs allows access to that NPC's history. This will work for Faction members as well - e.g. the Watch is on the lookout for PC 'Bob the Butcher'. Presto, they all are.

There would obviously need to be a Note Management GUI for external access and rapid editing of said notes, but that is relatively painless to set up.
PC: Bot (WD)

Code: Select all

-----          -----          -----          -----
    /     \        /     \        /     \        /     \
   /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /
   |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
  *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *|
_)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_(
Vendrin
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Vendrin »

Still interested in having an already organized player group ready to go on this server?
-Vendrin
<fluff> vendrin is like a drug
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

You know it Vendrin. I've got a few groups of PCs lined up.
Gelcur
Dire Badger

Post by Gelcur »

I'd be willing to join if you'll have me. I've been a long time player on BG and will be DMing on ALFA 18 Tethyr in ALFA2.

I know the myth and lore of the area very well and have RPed with most of the major figures in that part of the realm. I also know a good deal of the alfa history of the area if it is decided that will be coming over as well. I've been a real world DM for over 8 years.
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

Hi Gelcur,

Sorry for the late reply, have been off on vacation. Of course would be glad to have you on board. I'll be sending out a proposal to the others as soon as possible.
Lasu
Dire Badger

Post by Lasu »

I fully support Ayergo, he has a fine team assembled and i'll be assisting as a Tech ADM. 8)
Valamyr
Goblin Scout

Post by Valamyr »

Ayergo is definitely ambitious with this one, and I like ambition. :)

I have been approached to assist awhile ago, but have been unable to confirm my involvement until recently. No longer!

I pledge my toolset and DM hat to the cause, if ya'll have me. Old timers may remember me from Scardale.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I'm interested in helping build in this area. I really like the approach to global DM plots as well.
Gelcur
Dire Badger

Post by Gelcur »

Could we up date this threads name???? And include the sword coast in the title?? Could we also get our names added to the above Proposed Proposals list???
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

i can't control the other list, but changed the name. I'll see if i can crank out the actual proposal.