Item Sets

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Item Sets

Post by Galadorn »

This is the "brainstorming" forum.

And my idea, like all my ideas, is frickin' sweet awesome deluxe with cheese and gravy. :mrgreen:

So. If the same PC-crafter makes a "Set" of items (remember the GREEN named items from Diablo 2?), specifically and with full intention for them to only work "together", can he volunteer IC and RP the crafting of said set to actually 'state' that, and include at the very least an OOC remark at the bottom of each of the Set's items letting the reader know about it, and for any PC who comes in contact with any of the items, to RP it?

I think the players of ALFA would honor that.

I know perhaps there's no such thing in D&D as sets... or is there? And why not? Why can one item not work only when in conjunction with another? Like a pair of gloves that only work when they are both on? They are 2 seperate things. There's also a "pair" of rings in the sourcebooks somewhere that allow one PC to be called to the location of another PC "Rings of Recall" or something... along those lines, but on a bit of a grander scale? Or even a very minor scale, i mean we are talking about "magic" here, and actually what i'm asking might even be a drawback, in case one of the set items gets stolen, lost, or destroyed.

FIRE AWAY

((*waves hands in the air, eyes shut, humming* I ... I sense.... I feel at least 3 posts incoming of a single word: "No."))
Rumple C
Bard

Re: Item Sets

Post by Rumple C »

I like the idea, as an RP thing.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Can we... like... get the stuff we already have stable and available first?
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I think Gal was talking of them just as an RP thing? If you arent wearing this and this... then neither work (and unequip said items)?
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Then what's the brainstorming thread for?

DMs can already place RP restrictions on gear. They do that all the time.
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

SRD comes sorta close to a "set" in one example I can think of. Minor Artifact, Hammer of Thunderbolts. It's a nice hammer, but if you add Gauntlets of Ogre Power and a Belt of Giant Strength it gets kind of crazy. See below:

Hammer of Thunderbolts

This +3 Large returning warhammer deals 4d6 points of damage on any hit. Further, if the wielder wears a belt of giant strength and gauntlets of ogre power and he knows that the hammer is a hammer of thunderbolts (not just a +3 warhammer), the weapon can be used to full effect: It gains a total +5 enhancement bonus, allows all belt and gauntlet bonuses to stack (only when using this weapon), and strikes dead any giant upon whom it scores a hit (Fortitude DC 20 negates the death effect but not the damage).

When hurled, on a successful attack the hammer emits a great noise, like a clap of thunder, causing all creatures within 90 feet to be stunned for 1 round (Fortitude DC 15 negates). The hammer’s range increment is 30 feet.

Strong evocation, necromancy, and transmutation; CL 20th; Weight 15 lb.

Anyhoo. Yeah there's an example but we're talking artifacts, or whatever CL20 really means to us.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Zelknolf wrote:Then what's the brainstorming thread for?

DMs can already place RP restrictions on gear. They do that all the time.
Baby steps big Z.

With enough support, I then brainstorm/rally for set bonuses when all items of a set are worn simultaneously of course.

Gotta warm ye all up fer that one. ;)
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Galadorn wrote:With enough support, I then brainstorm/rally for set bonuses when all items of a set are worn simultaneously of course.
And in that case,
Zelknolf wrote:Can we... like... get the stuff we already have stable and available first?
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

yes!