xp for regular dm'ing

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.
Rumple C
Bard

xp for regular dm'ing

Post by Rumple C »

In the recent theme of "xp for rp" and "xp for bios", I propose "xp for regular dm'ing".

If you have a regular spot and consistently dm, then I'd like to see a bone thrown your way. Regular dm'ing is the single biggest contributer to keeping folks around, and we need more of it.

I know not the feasibility of tech side of doing such.

On a side note i also support xp for tech work.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Re: xp for regular dm'ing

Post by Xanthea »

It's makes no less sense than xp for sitting around chatting in a tavern, and it's probably a whole lot better for the server.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

XP for tech work? :P

Seriously though, I think incentives would help if we want more DMing/building/teching. But, I'm not sure if something like XP (even if XP is an OOC notion) is the appropriate award. At the very least would need to be attached to something like RP XP, so that you can never earn more than 1/5th your RP XP in DMing work. That way we'd never have people leveling up significantly from DMing, and it means nothing if you're not actually still playing.

Granted... what other incentives could we give DMs/other contributors, that aren't in-game rewards?
Regas
ALFA Representative

Post by Regas »

I want to see dms rewarded too. I don't agree that we should give them ic xp for their pcs though.

What I would like to see is a way to reward those who dm with more dm attention for their pcs. Any ideas on how we could make that happen?
Game spy ID: Regas Seive
GMT -5(EST)
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

More dms?
Regas
ALFA Representative

Post by Regas »

Is there a way to give our regular dms priority as players for regular dming?
GMT -5(EST)
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Is it that much of a stretch that dms get rpxp for a toon?

Players currently get it for ho humming and walking down a road delivering mail, which adds nothing to the world aside from a few gp into the economy.

I would argue that providing life for a server through active dm ing or through dropping encounters and rumors (as Zelk has been doing) provides far more value.

Living in Western Australia it would be unlikely that i would see a DM in my timezone.
Regas
ALFA Representative

Post by Regas »

members seem to find you just find when you DM Rump ;)

but yes, it's a top priority to reward our dms and tech folks- just not sure how we could do it with xp. We can float it as a topic and see how much support we get for it. Do we draw the line at dms or include builders, tech and hosters too? Not asking to drive a wedge on the idea but because I'm sure there will be those who don't dm but do other things and will feel strongly about wanting fair treatment.
GMT -5(EST)
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Seems like there'd be a fair bit of overhead to quantifying those rewards; we'd have to define and check on "regular" and determine how much it's worth, then find ways to check on that and deliver whatever reward is agreed on. And then we have to norm that against other kinds of contributors for fairness' sake (which is going to be a difficult task-- lots of apples and oranges).

That's not to say that we can't reward and encourage things. But there's a lot of logistics to work out in making it happen, and the results might not be worth the overhead, or that effort might be more productively directed to other causes.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

id think just make it the same as RPXP? as least as far as dm ing goes
Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Post by Xanthea »

What if you have two PCs? Would both of them get RPXP from DMing? :O
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

i dont think so.
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

I can see this morphing into something really weird if a DM has a significant amount of time DMing, compared to playing. While 'VIP' players may one day be needed, I hope we're not there yet.

A one-time 250 XP shot for an IC writeup of your current toon makes sense, and is so trivial it's not going to matter. Players logged in RPing in the tavern serve a very real purpose of having someone on the server when I log in to play. While we need more DMs (and players), I'd hope any DM is getting enjoyment from that half of the RP. Adding an OOC perk to the toons they're not playing would be much the same as allowing high level toons to mentor lower, and rewarding the players offline low level toon. YMMV.
PC: Bot (WD)

Code: Select all

-----          -----          -----          -----
    /     \        /     \        /     \        /     \
   /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /
   |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
  *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *|
_)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_(
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Its about trying to get more people dm ing, instead of running mail up and down roads.
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Post by Wild Wombat »

I think this is a brilliant idea. If it is technically feasible, I think DMing should be worth exactly as much as RP XP. Why shouldn't it? The DM is sitting there waiting for somebody to log on and as soon as somebody comes online he will be actively engaged ... well, he should ... can we make sure that DMs are actively engaged when any player is on? If so, then this is a great idea.

ALFA needs more DMs. That is the number one thing it needs. Well, besides more players. But since more DMs bring more players, ipso facto abracadabra, I have proven my point.

I bow to your wisdom Rumple. If I ever have the nerve to criticize you for anything, just mention XP for DMing and you will shut me right up!
Current NWN1: Murgen Kjarnisteinn (AKA Grumpy Scout)

Current NWN2: Muir Cheartach, AKA The Pale Faced Pie Man

R.I.P.: Croaker Lyosbarr, Knight of Yartar, Lord of Lhuvenhead (NWN1)

"In no uncertain terms, i am adamantly opposed to any ingame mechanics that penalize players for wanting to meet up with other players, when their goal is to roleplay." - White Warlock