xp for regular dm'ing

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.
Rumple C
Bard

Re: xp for regular dm'ing

Post by Rumple C »

This seems a dead horse issue. The admin of the day did not find reason to go with it.

Case closed, everyone back in game.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

I've been thinking a lot about this.

I personally think DM's should be rewarded for good stories, perhaps by the players themselves. Players could give DM-points or something maybe? Not actual xp, but these points could be redeemable in certain ways. The more points a DM accumulates, the more choices you get available. A possible list of boons one could have are:

(low numbers of points):
An xp boost to a pre-existing character.
Minor item (5 charges on any wand, etc)
500 gold coins.

(med number of points)
A level boost to a pre-existing character.
med item (10 charges on any wand, etc)
3000 gold coins

(high number of points)
2 level boosts on a pre-existing character. (max to level 6)
A single prestige class on a pre-existing character.
A high level item (20 charges on a wand)
A 'unique' but random signature item appropriate to their class/race.
10000 gold coins.

This is just a vague idea, but I offer it to explore that there are other currency options then simply 'give xp'.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Khazar. The point about epic actions doesnt stand when you get XP for RPXP.
The point was never to reward DMs with anything other than for the time they DMed the same XP they would have gotten if thier toon was chatting in an inn or walking along the tradeways.

RPXP is about 15xp an hour I think? Which makes a 3-4 hour session a 50xp bump.
It's not a big deal either way. We can even set it to to a set number. (50/40/30 XP for a session no matter how long or whatever)

You're asking if it would help?
Well it would make me want to DM more.

Questions of purity and moral seem pointless imm as long as you are getting XP for nothing basicly anyways.
Claims that it shouldn't make a deferance seem pointless. Maybe it shouldn't but it does.

Is it worth the rule change/tech work just for a few more hours of active DMing a week?
I'd say thats the main question and we should focus on that.
I've no idea what the answer is nor does it matter much to me but I think that if you'd like to debate the issue thats where the focus should be.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Khazar Stoneblood
Dire Badger

Post by Khazar Stoneblood »

FoamBats4All wrote:
Khazar Stoneblood wrote:Well, the 3.0 DMG I have seemed to indicate something along the lines of a standard guardsman never surpassing level 2 or 3 in their lifetime (as a warrior, not a fighter). To me that would mean that a grizzled sergeant in the guard as a level 2 warior would be common, and that a level 1 fighter isn't all that far off from that.
Could you provide a page number for that? Zelknolf's post above is actually taken from the DMG, and directly contradicts your unsourced, and rather absurdly out of the spirit of D&D claim.
I'm not trying to start an argument here, just sharing my interpretation of what levels and classes mean.

But as for the page... page 37 (NPC Classes section).

"Therefore, a commoner is likely to progress in levels very slowly. Most never reach more thean 2nd or 3rd level in their whole lives. A warrior serving in a town guard is more likely to gain experience here and there and thus might gaain a few levels, but this experience is still paltry compared to what an adveturer gains."

So... not QUITE what I remembered... I obviously combined the two in my head somewhat. Obviously my view is not exactly what is in the books.
Current PC: I'm not tellin'. They die when I put their names here.
Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Post by Xanthea »

Khazar Stoneblood wrote:
Xanthea wrote:[We limit you to 1st level POWER as a starting point and that does limit some of your backstory possibilites... but in a good way. It makes the important heroic bits of your character's life happen in the game.
The trouble is that ALFA does not make every variety of important heroic bits available for play in game. It shouldn't do this, as some of them are obviously logistically impossible and quite dull to play, like offering the chance for your PC to be part of a standing army for 20 years. But this does shut some concepts down.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

FoamBats4All wrote:
And yet, here on ALFA we have the policy and seemingly majority opinion that if you're not playing a level 1 scrub who isn't out fighting monsters (but not too much, or you're a dirty farmer, and you better not level or it's bad RP), you're doing something wrong.

The rest of your post has merit but this is just plain silly. :roll:

Back on topic, I demand to be paid in US dollars for DMing, crisp Ben Franklins will do per hour; nothing less will motivate me.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Khazar Stoneblood
Dire Badger

Post by Khazar Stoneblood »

kid wrote:Khazar. The point about epic actions doesnt stand when you get XP for RPXP.
The point was never to reward DMs with anything other than for the time they DMed the same XP they would have gotten if thier toon was chatting in an inn or walking along the tradeways.

RPXP is about 15xp an hour I think? Which makes a 3-4 hour session a 50xp bump.
It's not a big deal either way. We can even set it to to a set number. (50/40/30 XP for a session no matter how long or whatever)

You're asking if it would help?
Well it would make me want to DM more.

Questions of purity and moral seem pointless imm as long as you are getting XP for nothing basicly anyways.
Claims that it shouldn't make a deferance seem pointless. Maybe it shouldn't but it does.

Is it worth the rule change/tech work just for a few more hours of active DMing a week?
I'd say thats the main question and we should focus on that.
I've no idea what the answer is nor does it matter much to me but I think that if you'd like to debate the issue thats where the focus should be.
Again, I'm not trying to argue here.

My point with the XP for RP is that it serves a purpose... it motivates a certain group interested in developing their characters and seeing them progress into the game, which is good. I've never really argued the "purity" angle. The whole "what levels mean" thing is largely an aside (which I'm apparently incorrect on).

My point is that those who are motivated by that are likely going to choose to log in as a player rather then a DM even if both give XP. Why? Because XP is really a small part of PC progression... and in many ways one of the least important. When I'm in the mood to further the development of my PC, I'm not going to DM to do it. And I don't really want my PC to develop when I'm not playing him.

Now... I concede it may be different when you have a higher level PC. In my NWN1 and NWN2 time in ALFA I think the highest level I ever had a PC reach was 6th... so I literally have NO experience in that area to speak of.

And it really wouldn't bother me if DM XP were put in. I just think it might be a fair amount of effort for little to no gain (when it comes to time spent DMing by DM's).
Current PC: I'm not tellin'. They die when I put their names here.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

It seems like all the DMs are moving toward DnD campaign-style groups to involve new PCs who they can then bring on up into heroes through their adventures. I dont blame them, this seems more fun and everyone can have more fun by being more fun so maybe try to encourage DMs by letting them know they dont have to deal with old (in ALFA terms) PCs with whole relationships and history and such if they dont want to.

As for xp, who wants even more xp for their character from what amounts to basically doing nothing? Not this guy!
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Heero wrote:maybe try to encourage DMs by letting them know they dont have to deal with old (in ALFA terms) PCs with whole relationships and history and such if they dont want to.
I'm not sure why this is being presented as a change; this is already the status quo. DMs don't have to DM anyone they don't want to, and their decision about who they want to DM can be based on anything (or nothing) at all. The worst they have to endure for it is that other members that they ask things from might feel like they're in a one-sided exchange and stop helping.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Im just brainstorming. I think this topic is way off track at this point.

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Heero wrote:Im just brainstorming. I think this topic is way off track at this point.
On that note, we can always approve an XP for DMing mechanic... And DMs can simply opt out if they aren't interested. If this would motivate someone to DM more often I think I'd be willing to try it out for a couple of months. I think increasing DM coverage should be our single biggest priority at this point, though this particular idea may not be the best way of going about it.

I'm still in shock about the idea of paying actual money to DMs.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Should allow opting out of it from the player side too. Sure it tempts you to log in but then you sit there doing nothing and hating the stupid game so you stop logging in. This is how it works for me, anyhow.

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

HEEGZ wrote: I'm still in shock about the idea of paying actual money to DMs.
I'm hoping you're refering to Orange's post, not my jokey comment about ben franklins? :hic:

Giving 10000gp to a PC for someone DMing... yeeeeeah. *cough* That was a joke too, right?
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Castano
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Castano »

Heero wrote:Should allow opting out of it from the player side too. Sure it tempts you to log in but then you sit there doing nothing and hating the stupid game so you stop logging in. This is how it works for me, anyhow.

You will almost never see my PC chatting about idle things or drinking in a bar unless he is scheming something adventury, and this is because I am aware I am getting XP for it. That's how I opt out of RPXP as a player. I'd rather DMs and player groups log in at set times for sessions, but that ship sailed a long time ago.
On playing together: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307 ... 6efFP.html
Useful resource: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

On bad governance: "I intend to bring democracy to this nation, and if anybody stands in my way I will crush him and his family."
You're All a Bunch of Damn Hippies
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Khazar,

you make a good point about incentive about what to do, but what you neglect is that sometimes, you do not have the option to choose between DMing or playing to "advance" your character in more areas than RP xp. You cannot always play when you want to play - however, you usually can DM almost always, and people will go to some lengths to accommodate you if you log in as a DM.

Dragging your feet to get some RP xp while upholding the noble notion that a not-empty server is more alluring to fellow players and DMs than an empty one isn't really developing your character.

However, if you stop being "punished", again from the angle of opportunity cost - which has not been, and cannot be, refuted here - then you can get the same "benefit" out of DMing than you would get moping about. You might even get a little more enjoyment out of it if you find that you have people to interact now.

I still think the possible gains, even if minuscule, quite outweigh the (non-existent) risks.

But, as Rumple said, there seems to be no will to enact a trial, so blah.

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.