Not max hit points on level up

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.
Rumple C
Bard

Not max hit points on level up

Post by Rumple C »

Hi,

I have an (old) idea, can we get randomised hit points on level up?

More fun that way, right?

Or maybe max hit points for the first 3 levels, then random after that (or average?)

I remember Foam saying it is feasible, so its worth being discussed for desirability.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Re: Not max hit points on level up

Post by FoamBats4All »

It is feasible, but figuring out how to fairly handle legacy characters is a hell in itself. Nerf them to mach? Have fun with that. Grandfather them out of the change for their current level? Then it's not fair the other way.

It's one of those changes that would be hard for a community to make, I think.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

I would asterisk that "feasible"-- this would fall into the category of things that tech is pretty sure we can do, but is also something that folk who work on NWN2 would generally call not possible. OE didn't hand us a cozy "set max hit points" method to call. So there may be unpredictable or unforseen things in that bag.

(and we'd also likely have the situation we had in NWN1, wherein people kept finding ways to check what their HP roll was before finalizing the level up, and then canceling it and trying again).
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

While a low CON fighter is questionable, a couple low rolls has a greater effect on HP. PnP DMs have much greater control over what they put in their campaigns, and can fudge the rolls on occasion. This adds the headache for all existing servers (including beta) to re-balance everything over ~3rd level to account for the new ~2/3 HP characters - I can't see the value-add in this.
PC: Bot (WD)

Code: Select all

-----          -----          -----          -----
    /     \        /     \        /     \        /     \
   /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /
   |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
  *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *|
_)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_(
gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

I seem to remember a debate on this a while ago, something about less than full hit points on character & npcs both.
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg
Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Post by Xanthea »

HP rolls are very unfair. If you want to do something other than max hp then just do average hp for everyone instead.
Regas
ALFA Representative

Post by Regas »

will the critters be adjusted too?
Game spy ID: Regas Seive
GMT -5(EST)
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

Post by Mikayla »

This seems like a solution in search of a problem. Why does ALFA need this tweak? The current system is predictable, and in that predictability there lies a certain fairness which allows both Players and DMs alike to judge the strenght and weakness of creatures and characters. I do not see any advantage to ALFA at all in having random hit-points.
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Post by Wild Wombat »

I don't think I am stepping out on a limb in predicting monumental flame wars over this one should it get to the point of serious discussion.

Plus, I don't like the idea of random screwage. ;)
Current NWN1: Murgen Kjarnisteinn (AKA Grumpy Scout)

Current NWN2: Muir Cheartach, AKA The Pale Faced Pie Man

R.I.P.: Croaker Lyosbarr, Knight of Yartar, Lord of Lhuvenhead (NWN1)

"In no uncertain terms, i am adamantly opposed to any ingame mechanics that penalize players for wanting to meet up with other players, when their goal is to roleplay." - White Warlock
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

I like it.

I'll take a re-level also for my PC and take random rolls as long as "Average rounded up, minimum average +1" is also used for each level. Even if the decision was to allow a Grandfather rule for current PCs. I'll still re-roll.

No DM in their right mind would ever make a player keep a 1 or 2 on a HP roll in PnP. If yes, he/she should never be allowed to own the DMG.

Kind of like this:

d4: 3-4
d6: 4-5-6
d8: 5-6-7-8
d10: 6-7-8-9-10
d12: 7-8-9-10-11-12

FLAME ON
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

If there's too much hp, I'd look into tweaking the -6 floor instead. Either make it fail with a small probability at high levels, or incapacitate the pc somehow more permanently if saved from by-the-book death by the floor (for simplest examples, deal ability dmg and neg levels). And/or keep saved-from-death PCs down for the count for, say, at least a minute, regardless if hps are healed. (Note that PCs who just fall to negative hps legit shouldn't be affected, only those saved from -10 by the -6 cap) Far more effective in creating non-godlike PCs than shaving a couple hps.

We don't need fights to go to whack-a-moling faster, but maybe we should increase PC risk by making whack-a-moling less reliable a "tactic" when it does happen.
Last edited by t-ice on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I think the time for making this decision has long ago passed us by. Same with the wealth issues brought up last week. Some things, while I may agree with in principle, are no longer practical or create more problems than they solve.
Darkmystic
Owlbear

Post by Darkmystic »

NO!
chalksoul
Dire Badger

Post by chalksoul »

If the problem is too much HP on chars i'd rather see everyone geting the average roll instead of a random roll. Never personally liked the fact that the big mighty barbarian could get 1 and the rouge a six. However, I think max hp is fine, it's not like alfa isn't build on the soil of dead adventurers any way :P
Characters
Hild Skeggjald
SwordSaintMusashi
Mook

Post by SwordSaintMusashi »

HEEGZ wrote:I think the time for making this decision has long ago passed us by. Same with the wealth issues brought up last week. Some things, while I may agree with in principle, are no longer practical or create more problems than they solve.
Again, this.
Current PCs:
Zova Earth Breaker, Monk of Rasheman
Alyra Ashedown, Knight Commander of Silverymoon