KO'd, Accessible Inventory?

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.
Regalis
Tie-Interceptor of Bane

Re: KO'd, Accessible Inventory?

Post by Regalis »

I was responding to OGR, who was responding to something I posted much earlier.

I am looking into your suggestion. There is no method that I know of to check to see if an item is either in a container or is a container itself, so the best way that I know to go about it is to look for containers by resref checking (seems more reliable than tags?) and then cross-referencing by enumerating their inventories, as well. Hopefully you know of something I don't, though that way should capture most containers. I just need to wait until my social life doesn't involve so much beer that too much recursive thinking gives me a headache.
:wynar:

As far as the timing goes, I will ask the testers to evaluate that issue. If it's made too quick and easy, people might always prefer to use the other person's healing potions. Maybe that's not really a bad thing?
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

people might always prefer to use the other person's healing potions. Maybe that's not really a bad thing?
Mostly that would be a good thing, wouldn't it, considering per PC resources vs per party resources in a PW setting as opposed to a fixed party campaign? The only negative part is that it lessens "use your own money on consumables to save your mates" -pressure on clerics.
I would have to choose to have it start with cure critical potions and work down or cure light and work up. I'd rather it be up to the player to decide.
Could you not make it use whatever cure potion it came up with first (I'd use the mechanism of going through all items in inventory that the shop returns does, but maybe you have something more advanced). Or use a random cure potion if it can come up with a list of all cure potions you found so far?

If the PC didn't want to scramble for the first, random cure he finds, then the player could also use the full UI instead of the shortcut.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Regalis wrote:I am looking into your suggestion. There is no method that I know of to check to see if an item is either in a container or is a container itself, so the best way that I know to go about it is to look for containers by resref checking (seems more reliable than tags?) and then cross-referencing by enumerating their inventories, as well. Hopefully you know of something I don't, though that way should capture most containers. I just need to wait until my social life doesn't involve so much beer that too much recursive thinking gives me a headache.
:wynar:
GetHasInventory returns TRUE for containers, and GetFirstItemInInventory / GetNextItemInInventory work (though if you're going CLR, I believe we have an enumerator for that called GetItemsInInventory -- if not, we have an example of how we do those in GetAreas)
Regalis
Tie-Interceptor of Bane

Post by Regalis »

Thanks, Zelk! I think Skywing did GetObjectsInContainer(), just to throw us a curveball.

Going with the first healing potion outside of a container will probably work well enough.
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

Resrefs and tags vary wildly throughout Alfa, though I bet lots of abr potions out there. There any way to sniff for a "cast spell: cure (whatever) wounds (caster level whatever)"?

Just a thought. And yes, when someone is seconds from death, probably Ooc to worry if you grabbed a 50gp potion or 700gp one. Better than 5000gp diamond and level loss. "you violated my possessions while saving me!!!!"
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Brokenbone wrote:There any way to sniff for a "cast spell: cure (whatever) wounds (caster level whatever)"?
That would include scroll wouldn't it?
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Brokenbone wrote:Resrefs and tags vary wildly throughout Alfa, though I bet lots of abr potions out there. There any way to sniff for a "cast spell: cure (whatever) wounds (caster level whatever)"?

Just a thought. And yes, when someone is seconds from death, probably Ooc to worry if you grabbed a 50gp potion or 700gp one. Better than 5000gp diamond and level loss. "you violated my possessions while saving me!!!!"
Well, I imagine Regalis would've asked this already if he didn't know.

Aspiring techies might pick up a little pointer from looking at how item properties are presented in the toolset. If there's a "master" type that's a collapsable menu, with selectable options inside of that section of the tree, then those selectable options are inside of another 2da (in this case, iprp_spells.2da) and can be detected with GetItemPropertySubType() -- and you could then get data out of the 2da through Get2DAString (in this case, we probably want the SpellIndex).
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

Regalis's post up a little talked about tags and resrefs which made me scratch head, and probably make some boneheaded sounding reminder. I do have a better than foggy memory that all kinds of numbers in relevant 2das for item props could be helpful to qualify some items, or disqualify them too. Like hey, cast spell cure item. Plus no cleric, druid, ranger, bard, FS, or SS restriction.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Just in case it has slipped attention, canonically scrolls that aren't your own require an extra standard action to decipher the writing before you can cast:
d20srd wrote:The writing on a scroll must be deciphered before a character can use it or know exactly what spell it contains. This requires a read magic spell or a successful Spellcraft check (DC 20 + spell level).
Thus scrolls picked up on the field would be far more poorly suited for emergency use than potions. Taking a minimum of 2 standard actions to activate after picking up for scrolls (assuming the spellcraft is successful or read magic is active) vs 1 action for potions. IDing notwithstanding. Whether and how it can be included in the system is another question. And if it's too hard, do we want to give clerics the extra advantage by making scrolls as easy and fast to use as potions, or disadvantage clerics by excluding scrolls altogether, or what.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

That's just not how scrolls work in ALFA. Here, one person makes a knowledge (arcana) check and everyone can use it-- same that (re)identifying items isn't its own minigame, and just swinging the things around isn't an option for puzzling out the use activated sorts.

We have a whole other set of problems to handle if we want to move to PnP for item identification, but they'd fortunately all be distinct from this project.
Regalis
Tie-Interceptor of Bane

Post by Regalis »

Just as an update, I'm a little behind where I thought I would be with this. I've been busy, but I've also rewritten the code several times. I have not worked with .NET and C# before. I am sacrificing time on this project to learn to program more naturally in C#. I think that's better over the long haul in a collaborative venture like this.
Sandermann
Rust Monster

Post by Sandermann »

I'm using a system on NU where you have to seearch a downed enemy to find anything, either quickly (1 round, base search skill) or thoroughly (3 rounds and a take ten). Items on the downed creature have a DC to find set on them when it goes down based on the items weight. Removing equipped items like armour is more involved and takes 3 rounds with a chance of damaging the armour.

No items are moved to the "loot object" until the inventory window opens for the searching PC and this doesnt happen until after the required time to search has passed, if the searching PC takes another action during the search, then it is cancelled.

Using this on a PC would be a matter of copy/pasting the code into the PC's on death event and adding a check to halt the searching process if the PC recovers during it.
PC: Liasola Dark Arrow
Ex PC: Arzit'el Tlabbar

Blindhamsterman : "I think Sand may have just won the internet"
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

The system on NU redefines a number of ACR concepts, and makes more assumptions than I am comfortable with adding to the ACR.
Blindhamsterman
Haste Bear

Post by Blindhamsterman »

that search system sounds like a grand addition to the game system, it'd give skill types an edge over everyone else for a change, which would also be nice.
Standards Member

Current PC: Elenaril Avae'Kerym of the Lynx Lodge
<Heero>: yeah for every pc ronan has killed dming, paazin has killed 2 with his spawns
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

It requires the redoing the way we handle gold. It's not something we can just copy over.