Server Bias

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Re: Server Bias

Post by Ithildur »

A couple of pretty well thought out posts here right after the forums/servers go down and come back up... maybe we should temporarily pull the plug on things more often!

like Ith mentioned for example the University is a project by wynna even if not superbly done its done! And it works
er, I've always said Wynna did a superb job with the tools she had available...? How can you not love the Lady's College stuff? *shrug* :lol:
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

Get rid of the travel map on TSM, and I'd love whoever did it forever. As it is, I've only heard of ONE area on TSM that has actually had any sort of update since I got here. I don't know if any others have or not... but if the areas are race restricted I don't really count them either.

As it is, TSM is the server I'd consider DMing the most. With the lack of updates, however, and the limitations that I'd face I just don't want to deal with the frustration.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
ElCadaver
Rust Monster

Post by ElCadaver »

I love the idea of set quests to learn server systems.

Like a DM run quest to discover portals around faerun, which could be post on the forums about when they run, and lvl requirements.

I would support the use of a static map as a travel option ( like the vanilla game), with the one party leader in control of selecting the destination, and they skills being used for rolls for spot, avoid, information about random encounters when they happen.

I've always grated against the long walk to the place we've been sent to by the plot or whatever. You don't do that in paper D&D (which is what we are trying to emulate). The Dm says, "after several days of uneventful travel....." bam, you are there. if the DM wants an encounter.. they just pull you into an area and have it. I like it when the plot moves along at a nice clip, otherwise my character gets like Ben Browders acting in the latter seasons of Far Scape ( Kid knows that I mean :P ).

Or TSM could go to the long thin road BG style.

What TSM needs is more enthused tech people, IMO. Doing this stuff can be fun, but turns into hard work too ( I know), when you do it on a long term basis. The people oiling the wheels ( they know who they are) should be thanked and supported, casue we all want to see things continue to get better. If you want to help raise a hand. Cross server support would be nice if it doesn't already happen (I don't know a lot), like a session where people see what their server is lacking that others have, and get help to get it done from those in the know.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

So in the end what I'm saying is that more then other things, I think that a server being more populated then other is more about the vision of the HDM for his server.
Well one would hope that ALFA allows for servers with somewhat differing visions for different corners of Faerun. So I see the purpose of the topic here not so much as "what should other servers copy from BG to make them all copies of the best one", but rather how to mitigate "winner takes it all" player ecology, and allow for the diversity in both RP-heavy gaming and in IC Faerun to shine.
Keryn
Ogre

Post by Keryn »

t-ice wrote:
So in the end what I'm saying is that more then other things, I think that a server being more populated then other is more about the vision of the HDM for his server.
Well one would hope that ALFA allows for servers with somewhat differing visions for different corners of Faerun. So I see the purpose of the topic here not so much as "what should other servers copy from BG to make them all copies of the best one", but rather how to mitigate "winner takes it all" player ecology, and allow for the diversity in both RP-heavy gaming and in IC Faerun to shine.
I don't know how to accomplish this though. The way I see it, theres Bananas in one server, and strawberries in another, both are accepted in ALFAs standards. If the players prefer strawberries obviously they move where they can find them, force them to move where they can only get bananas doesn't sound a very smart idea. It might just happen that the player gets tired of being forced to do something he doesn't want and moves on to another more welcoming place. Now maybe the other servers can find a fruit that maths the appealing strawberries, or even a mix, and attract some folks there.

As in all things you can offer a product of extremely high quality, but if you don't have folks interested in it, it won't "sell".

Either you keep on walking that road confident that your strategy will work and along the road will be attractive, or you adapt and look for ways to attract players. I'm not saying the way is to simply emulate BG, but they have done something right.

It seems to me that making an effort to somehow give what the players see as entertaining and fun will eventually = win. After all we all play to have fun, and I doubt ideas like the one Kid defends that a player must grow roots in a server even if not having fun, just to show loyalty is not going to lead anywhere. After a day of work, who wants to fire a GAME to instead of having a leisure moment, have fun, feel some pleasure with the interaction, simply walking around alone with not much to do, knowing that in the server next door they would be having that fun that they look for. Being punished with the idea that you'll get rewarded for it is not my idea of entertainment.

I think we should keep in mind that without losing ALFAs identity, which means thread a path within ALFA rules, the more attractive ALFA servers are, more players they will have and this way more lively ALFA will be. The opposite only leads to a slow death which I've seen happen in many communities. And in the end there are many ways to attract players. For example apparently not many folks are fans of a Travel Map system. TSM for example has had this system for sometime, either the TM changes to work better and look better, or maybe should be dropped. Just one example.
Last edited by Keryn on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Kest> "what am i running away from? i dont know but it sounds big and large!!"
---
<@Veilan> I like sausage.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Theres Bananas in one server, and strawberries in another, if the players prefer strawberries obviously they move where they can find them

It seems to me that making an effort to somehow give what the players see as entertaining and fun will eventually = win.
To stretch this analogue, consider two parties with bananas and strawberries on offer. Well, what people really want from a party is not strawberries or bananas but the company of other people. But some of them do like strawberries more (say 60%) and some like bananas more (say 40%). So "mitigating the winner-takes-all ecology" is to make it so that the rather small preference difference towards strawberries will not lead the banana party to be totally empty - because people go to a party foremost for the other people.

Players see other players as the foremost "entertaining and fun" component -this has been re-iterated over and over here. Unfortunately this does lead towards perfectly good bananas rotting even though a sizeable minority might prefer them.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

In case people don't know, TSM has had many recent updates, including the tailor and barber currently available on BG, which are welcome additions. As a DM I would love to see the travel map as currently implemented removed. The random encounter system is a wonderful thing but the OLM is a PITA and breaks immersion for me. I would go the BG route for travel. If El Cad's original builds of the roads between Silvy and RM are still available go with some version of those. They are amazing and really capture a riverside road. As for server popularity it ebbs and flows based on numerous factors, consistent DM coverage being the most influential IMO.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

If we're using food analogies, it'd be more helpful to think of banana pie vs strawberry pie. :D Point being, as OGR said there are a number of factors/ingredients involved.

One place offers fresh strawberry pies with consistently tasty filling, flaky and tasty crust, nice trimmings, fresh whipped cream, and cold glasses of milk to go with it; plus they offer speedy, friendly service.

The other sells banana pies and has had a good run for a long while but lately, some of the pies are four day old and there's like two spoonfuls of filling in each pie; their service is notoriously slow and you see a lot of signs that say stuff like 'we only take cash', 'do not run in this establishment', 'you'll get your pie when you get your pie, I'm busy', 'milk? this is a pie shop, dummy'. To their credit, this place still offers some tasty trimmings and their whipped cream is nice (although you might get smacked for asking for too much), and the proprietor when he is around entertains with very dry jokes.

It's not hard to see why kids like the strawberry place right now.

Now I've a certain fondness for the owner of the banana pie shop, and there are some quaint charms and memories about his place, but it is what it is. The biggest thing is the pies currently lack what is essential for pies: very little filling. The core of the ALFA experience is DMs working with players to create a sense of ongoing story. For reasons that are not any one person's fault, there's barely any filling in the pie on TSM of late after the guy who tried to make filling 24/7 burned out and went home.

I think eventually things will improve, and there's signs that it will, but it'll take time. Business owners know there's momentum and cycles; if you have a good thing going and word of mouth gets around popularity breeds more popularity. The strawberry place has been on a roll while the banana place has had serious setbacks; not all the good fortune of the strawberry place is due to one person's being a guru, just as not all the setbacks in the banana place is one person's fault. But it is a good time for the banana place to re-evaluate and revamp some things (as they have been doing) while there is a lull, perhaps improve communication, delegate more if the owner is simply too busy; eventually things can and will improve.

But TSM will never look like BG; nor do we want it to. That's not a bad thing at all for each shop to offer their own features and flavors.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

I have built WHL on the assumption that people actually prefer squid. Have I done something wrong?
Cast_No_Shadow
Wyvern

Post by Cast_No_Shadow »

Moonshae Isles are Steakshae Isles.

We offer a vegetarian option on special request.
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

BLACKBERRIES YOU IDIOTS!!!

Clearly, cobbler is superior to pie in every way...
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by CloudDancing »

Cast_No_Shadow wrote:Moonshae Isles are Steakshae Isles.

We offer a vegetarian option on special request.
That is MS; a big ol meat pie stuffed full of meat, but not very much pie.

Eventually you get too full of meat and push the pie away, panting.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

*Attempts to metaly lock the thread*

Ugghahahh.

*Fails, sighs, moves along*
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

The Rumple loves pie!

Who wants some Strudel?
12.August.2015: Never forget.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Teric neDhalir wrote:I have built WHL on the assumption that people actually prefer squid. Have I done something wrong?
This is funny because WHL has next to no coastline.

This thread makes me hungry now.
:mission accomplished: