static quest npc's

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.
ElCadaver
Rust Monster

static quest npc's

Post by ElCadaver »

Would it be too meta to have the name of static quest givers to have their pop up name in yellow text. It saves the very un-rpish practice of going to talk to every npc in an area when in a party. It's not like I am talking spinning exclamation mark above the head like in wow. It would be quite discreet.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Re: static quest npc's

Post by t-ice »

This sounds a good idea to me. It would particularly aid new players get their bearings. The old hands know where the quest givers are, anyway, and as a result there is probably quite a discrepancy between leveling rates of lowbie PCs of new vs old players.

Of course if the quest of a particular npc is discreet ICly, not "broadcast" to all who speak to the person, then one doesn't need this emphasis on the npc. Which actually serves to better hide the hide-y things, too.
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

Decent idea. I'll see what can be done to change many of the named NPCs to have yellow text names.
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
ElCadaver
Rust Monster

Post by ElCadaver »

Thanks Guys,
I don't usually go looking for statics myself, prefering DM XP (and Love), but in helping lowbie PC's leave that lvl1 terror of dying phase, it's helpful not to waste time canvassing the whole area. especially when some of us only have an hour or two here and there to jump on and have some fun. It means more RP and interaction, and less grind.

That and I was new to BG myself, so it was the blind leading the blind.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

This is not a bad idea.

After all, for most NPCs, it should not be so hard to be pointed to them by other NPCs when asking around for work, but who wants to equip every NPC with dialogue?

Some dabbling in less wholesome tasks might still not be "pointed out", which leaves the fun in exploring around / getting inside information.

But, yeah - the killer argument here is that new players simply don't know the "circuits" that old hands do like laps on a track on every new character. As long as we don't break immersion, let's make the game more approachable without having to beg for information ;).

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

This is now implemented.
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.