Level 1 Start - The Poll

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.

Do you support a starting level at higher than level 1? (NB: Excluding ECLs etc)

Poll ended at Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 pm

Yes
49%
No
42%
Maybe / I Don't Know
8%

Total votes: 59

Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Level 1 Start - The Poll

Post by Rotku »

At OGR's request. Simple Yes or No answer. Enjoy :)

Poll running for 14 days.
< Signature Free Zone >
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Re: Level 1 Start - The Poll

Post by Rotku »

My vote : Couldn't care less. So long as what ever move is well thought and supported, I don't really mind.
< Signature Free Zone >
Magile
Otyugh

Post by Magile »

No.

If it's a fixed experience for every new PC, then I can possibly agree with that; otherwise, I doubt we'd ever see any ECL races due to the fact that regardless of stats, the level two "normal" PC is going to have a leg up on the ECL race on creation (namely due to the #1 complaint in the original thread -- Health). ECL is already a rarity due to the fact that it has to be approved (and we have had cases where the character is solid and there was no reason not to allow it to be made, but finickiness made it denied), you might as well remove it all together if it's only a level increase and not a set EXP gain.

tl;dr version: No if set level; maybe if set exp.

edit: wrote yes instead of maybe
Part of ALFA since May 2000.
NWN 2 PC (BG): Layali Mae (Arcane Trickster)
NWN 2 PC (MS): Marius Lobhdain (Druid)
Curmudgeon in IRC wrote:(2:29:40 PM) Curmudgeon: The community wants 24/7 DM coverage, free xp, and a suit of mithral plate mail in every pchest.
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

What's been suggested is set all to 1000 or 3000xp. This applies to everyone.
< Signature Free Zone >
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by CloudDancing »

I put yes because I don't see it effecting game play. Rivermoot spawns and road spawn kill level threes just as much as level 1s . :axe:

My only thought it Dms would have to be MUCH more picky about characters and proper stats as well as people having a background READY before they even create a PC. Maybe an "only with a completed character bio" as a provision? :twocents:
hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

Post by hollyfant »

Cloud_Dancing wrote:Maybe an "only with a completed character bio" as a provision? :twocents:
That makes sense.

Also: I'll point out that ECL'd characters will get it tough - most of them do not have abilities that are worth trailing one or more full character levels.
Blindhamsterman
Haste Bear

Post by Blindhamsterman »

hollyfant wrote:
Cloud_Dancing wrote:Maybe an "only with a completed character bio" as a provision? :twocents:
That makes sense.

Also: I'll point out that ECL'd characters will get it tough - most of them do not have abilities that are worth trailing one or more full character levels.
I agree that with a set exp gain, and a requirement for a full bio, it's not too bad an idea.

As to ECL characters, ultimately it is the players choice, if drow were allowed, making a drow fighter/bard or rogue, while harder initially results in a more powerful character due to in much greater ability scores, magic resistance, spells etc.

Some of the abilities other planetouched have are also rather good, and probably worth a single level if its a non spellcasting character.
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

I don't feel strongly either way. If it is implemented, however, I do think a reasonable bio should be required to get the 3k xp bump.

Oh, and you can't leave your character description field blank. ;)
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Happycrow
Dire Badger

Post by Happycrow »

Mick wrote:Oh, and you can't leave your character description field blank. ;)
MAN, do I hate that. It's the first clue another player has about how your character and theirs might interact...
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I voted no just to be on the safe side though i do belive that a good bio that a Dm aproves might be worth a 1000 Xp, but no more. and 1000 should be the max amount. as far as im concerned it should be an amout from 200 to 1,000 pending DM's decision.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Anguipes
Goblin Scout

Post by Anguipes »

Put me in the "eh" column.

From a newbie perspective, the only problem I have with a level one start is the whole "don't bother detailing your PC until it survives to levels 3+" culture it (plus permadeath) seems to spawn. Rewarding a well thought out bio with a set amout of XP also sounds good.
Current PC: Sanna Mem PC Portrait!
PC quote: I can hold my breath for ten whole minutes!

Burt what if the tattoo is of a festering turd
Burt how appropriate that Anguipes should return at that precise moment in time
I-KP
Otyugh

Post by I-KP »

Anguipes wrote:"don't bother detailing your PC until it survives to levels 3+"
Exactly. This reminds me of the PnP RP games where your character can die during character creation, a la Traveller and Twilight2000.

Conceptually, is this not the same as what's happening now in PWs that force a level1 start? Perhaps this is why such games are brimming over with power-builds, knights and butt-kickers-for-goodness (or badness, or the vacillating) but are very thin on the ground with non-combat, Mages and Rogues; the combat weaker builds find it harder to make it through this 'character creation' phase. Systems like this one do seem to place a strong predication on homogeneity.
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

My vote goes to option 3. I personally prefer to start at level 1 but am not going to get up in arms if that were to change.

Though if we required a full bio and fully fleshed out character for it, I would vote no, as it simply isn't how I personally create my characters. Deliberately vague so I can fill in the holes and quirks as situations in game demand or present the opportunity.

Plus, it prevents such occurrences as Corios recent novella being all for naught because the character died quickly.
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

I've changed my vote......

I voted "no, primarily out of an "ain't broke don't fix it" thought process.

But in the end, I don't really care either way.
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Keryn
Ogre

Post by Keryn »

I haven't voted yet but I'll drop a question on the side of consistency.

If we do opt for a start at 1000xp or 3000xp... Does that mean already made PCs will now get a bump of XP aswell, or this would not work retroactively.

I suppose in a way those PCs got it harder back then, now people getting it easier doesn't seem that fair does it?
<Kest> "what am i running away from? i dont know but it sounds big and large!!"
---
<@Veilan> I like sausage.