ALFA and traps, arrows and ?

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Re: ALFA and traps, arrows and ?

Post by Veilan »

Dorn wrote:Hi guys,

Arrows:
I understand archery is busted because arrows cannot get past damage reduction and perhaps one or two other things. Is this a DnD thing or NWN2 thing?

If it's NWN2 bug, is there anything that can be done to fix it or is it a hardcoded fault?
It's an NWN 2 fault. We simply can't get proper +1 arrows in the vanilla engine. Standards isn't happy with this, and we've enquired with TA, but he's of yet not replied whether a technical fix may be possible. My guess is he simply has far too much on his plate.

In the meantime, you're stuck with getting a +1 bow if you're a dedicated archer, which is something you might want to do anyway. A +1 bow fully confers its enchantment bonus on ammunition like it is supposed to, and also beats DR/magical.

Also note that DR/magical is far less common in 3.5 than it used to be in 3rd. Just how likely are you to encounter a homunculus in ALFA? ;)
Dorn wrote:Traps:
What's the reason we dont have them in game for PCs to use? Is it a policy or bug thing? Can non-damage traps be recoverable/purchased? (ie those things that trap a person for some time while the rogue escapes rather than 'reflex save or die traps')
The "instant" laying traps of the CRPG NWN 2 are simply too powerful, and don't even have a semblance in cost or effort to PnP, where laying traps of power comparable to the NWN 2 traps is the sole domain of evil dungeon overlords. It costs a lot of ressources, both in time and treasure.

Thus, traps are actually encounters in PnP.

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

keep up veilan, the OP was made over a year ago! :)

i tacked a point onto the bottom about non-instant but PC carryable and settable (without a DM) traps conditional on them being :
a) weak ones often to 'hold up' opponents
b) take a reaonable amount of time to set (eg several RL minutes so they couldn't be set in melee...but could be set as part of a plan to draw opponents etc)

i totally agree the 'vanilla' ones that could be set straight away were stupid
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

Just a note- we have Tanglefoot bags available presently, which are canon "instant hold up your opponent" type devices.

I'm still not opposed to opening some way to handle setting very simple snares/spikes to represent traditional hunting traps, though it'd be a fair bit of work and somewhat debatable which skill to tie them to... since Survival is already effectively "monster radar" already, I'm hesitant to tack another highly useful feature on to it.
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

Dorn wrote:keep up veilan, the OP was made over a year ago! :)

i tacked a point onto the bottom about non-instant but PC carryable and settable (without a DM) traps conditional on them being :
a) weak ones often to 'hold up' opponents
b) take a reaonable amount of time to set (eg several RL minutes so they couldn't be set in melee...but could be set as part of a plan to draw opponents etc)

i totally agree the 'vanilla' ones that could be set straight away were stupid
SRD 3.5 wrote:Glyph of Warding

Abjuration
Level: Clr 3 Components: V, S, M Casting Time: 10 minutes Range: Touch Target or Area: Object touched or up to 5 sq. ft./level
Duration: Permanent until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No (object) and Yes; see text

This powerful inscription harms those who enter, pass, or open the warded area or object. A glyph of warding can guard a bridge or passage, ward a portal, trap a chest or box, and so on.

Blast Glyph: A blast glyph deals 1d8 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d8) to the intruder and to all within 5 feet of him or her. This damage is acid, cold, fire, electricity, or sonic (caster’s choice, made at time of casting). Each creature affected can attempt a Reflex save to take half damage. Spell resistance applies against this effect
NWN2 wrote:Glyph of Warding
Class/Level: Cleric 3
Innate Level: 3
School: Abjuration
Descriptor(s): Sonic
Component(s): Verbal, Somatic
Range: Short
Area of Effect / Target: Large
Duration: 60 seconds / 2 levels
Save: Reflex 1/2
Spell Resistance: Yes
Installation: Neverwinter Nights 2 (Base)
You create a small, magical zone that can detect the passage of enemy creatures. When the field is activated, it explodes, dealing 1d8 points of sonic damage per two caster levels to all creatures within the area of effect (to a maximum of 5d8). After being triggered, the glyph dissipates.
If the NWN2 spell could be modified to better emulate the PnP version, would that serve?
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
AcadiusLost

Post by AcadiusLost »

The PnP "permanent until discharged" version requires spending 100 gp of diamond dust each casting, and allows some quite strategic conditional triggering logic... not really easily transferable to NWN2, at least as a standard castable spell.

In NWN1 days I played the normal castable version as a "temporary/lesser" version of the spell, while the more PnP method of Glyphs required significant toolsetting/scripting/persistency handling (I set these up for a player faction area on old NWN1 shadowdale once).
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Veilan wrote:
Also note that DR/magical is far less common in 3.5 than it used to be in 3rd. Just how likely are you to encounter a homunculus in ALFA? ;)

Actually... you might be surprised. *sidelong glance at Jayde and Mirabai*
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Within the confines of a single event, paying 100gp to set up that "fall back to" glyph should be easily done with the DM. Complete with complex trigger logic.

That said, a fighting retreat strategy already easily borders on abuse, especially in cramped quarters. The AI is just that stupid. Retreat, especially coupled to funnel points such as doors, can pretty much reduce any encounter to a string of single creatures. Still, when there's a DM to manage to hostiles, strategies like such, perhaps coupled with traps, have great fun potential. Though I'm ambivalent on whether the potential is greater to cause the DM gray hair over trying to herd the unit of supposedly-cunning opponents to meet such tactics.

One should keep in mind that if the party spends an hour preparing "fall back to" traps for the encounter behind the next door, the creatures of that encounter should realistically be expected to take note, and ambush/encircle etc. in turn. Used right, though, all this can drive home the point of different strategies for different enemies. A shamble of zombies should be met differently than a crack squad of Banites.
dirsa
Orc Champion

Post by dirsa »

Veilan wrote:Also note that DR/magical is far less common in 3.5 than it used to be in 3rd. Just how likely are you to encounter a homunculus in ALFA? ;)
above statement may not be entirely accurate... not sure about this homonculus fella, bet your garden variety werewolf in alfa laughs at magical weapons and still absorbs 10 damage...
fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

dirsa wrote:above statement may not be entirely accurate... not sure about this homonculus fella, bet your garden variety werewolf in alfa laughs at magical weapons and still absorbs 10 damage...
Indeed, because werewolves have DR/silver. So you need a silver weapon to beat them, magic weapons don't do shyte.

DR in 3.5 works a little differently than in 3.0 ;).

DR doesn't work against the type listed after it, but it does work against everything else (apart from energy attacks).

So, a werewolf is actually an example how DR/magic is rare.
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Mirabai
Orc Champion

Post by Mirabai »

Ithildur wrote:
Veilan wrote:

Try to keep Ithildur's meta out of Aglaril's guesses, eh? ;) And remember the creature palette I'm working with in nwn2 is way more limited than it was in nwn1....unless you want me to take more precious DM time getting in the toolset every time I need a critter for an encounter where there isn't even any fighting involved. :P Gotta work with what we have and let our imaginations and flavor text do the rest.
---Elsewhere---
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

Mirabai wrote:
Ithildur wrote:
Veilan wrote:

Try to keep Ithildur's meta out of Aglaril's guesses, eh? ;) And remember the creature palette I'm working with in nwn2 is way more limited than it was in nwn1....unless you want me to take more precious DM time getting in the toolset every time I need a critter for an encounter where there isn't even any fighting involved. :P Gotta work with what we have and let our imaginations and flavor text do the rest.
Could that be construed as a DM request for more monster creatures to be added to the pallete?

*cuts eyes at Dorn* :P
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
Mirabai
Orc Champion

Post by Mirabai »

danielmn wrote:Could that be construed as a DM request for more monster creatures to be added to the pallete?

*cuts eyes at Dorn* :P
more variety would be great. and what would be EVEN BETTER is if they spawned non-flocking.
---Elsewhere---
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

:lol:
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
AcadiusLost

Post by AcadiusLost »

Mirabai wrote:what would be EVEN BETTER is if they spawned non-flocking.
Might be do-able... mobs from spawn points set to flock by default, but ones from the DM creator defauling to flocking-disabled... I'll add it to my "see if it's easily accomplished" list.
Mirabai
Orc Champion

Post by Mirabai »

AcadiusLost wrote:
Mirabai wrote:what would be EVEN BETTER is if they spawned non-flocking.
Might be do-able... mobs from spawn points set to flock by default, but ones from the DM creator defauling to flocking-disabled... I'll add it to my "see if it's easily accomplished" list.

I would kiss you.

Or bake you cookies. (rather not have an angry Lou at my doorstep! :shock: )
---Elsewhere---