NWN2: Standardized/realistic NPCs and Monsters

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.
Magonushi
Gelatinous Cube

NWN2: Standardized/realistic NPCs and Monsters

Post by Magonushi »

Here is something that has always bugged me in ALFA. Despite being a RPing based community we constantly create unrealistically powerful NPCs which use items not allowed on PCs. The arguements for contenuing this practice usually trace back to a fear of AI exploitation, which saddens me.

I'd like to present a proposal that in ALFA II NPCs be more standardized and more realistically modled, namly in the sense that if and NPC carries an item it can and will drop that item, and that if an NPC isn't carrying something, it can't drop that item.

Some may proclaim that this will imbalance the wealth but I'd beg to differ especially if merchants too were more realistic. Not every weapons dealer is going to want to by your rusted broad sword, and not every map barkeep is going to want to by rum off of someone who walks into his bar. Seriously speaking when is the last time Triple A bought a map off of you? Merchants shouldn't buy back most items even those they specialize in selling. Pawn shops or auction houses would naturally be different but these should be few and far between in order to encourage the policy of "take what you need" when looting fallen NPCs/Monsters.
Current PC: Helga Hornraven
Next PC: Coming Soon
Lusipher
Talon of Tiamat

Post by Lusipher »

I just build my Npcs and monsters according to Canon or the Monster manuals.
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft.

Follow me on Twitter as: Danubus
Smoothie
Shambling Zombie

Re: ALFA2 NPCs/Monsters

Post by Smoothie »

Magonushi wrote:Here is something that has always bugged me in ALFA. Despite being a RPing based community we constantly create unrealistically powerful NPCs which use items not allowed on PCs. The arguements for contenuing this practice usually trace back to a fear of AI exploitation, which saddens me.

I'd like to present a proposal that in ALFA II NPCs be more standardized and more realistically modled, namly in the sense that if and NPC carries an item it can and will drop that item, and that if an NPC isn't carrying something, it can't drop that item.

Some may proclaim that this will imbalance the wealth but I'd beg to differ especially if merchants too were more realistic. Not every weapons dealer is going to want to by your rusted broad sword, and not every map barkeep is going to want to by rum off of someone who walks into his bar. Seriously speaking when is the last time Triple A bought a map off of you? Merchants shouldn't buy back most items even those they specialize in selling. Pawn shops or auction houses would naturally be different but these should be few and far between in order to encourage the policy of "take what you need" when looting fallen NPCs/Monsters.
What he said.

+1
Vendrin
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Vendrin »

Also, can we have it where an orc on one server is basically an orc on another? etc.
-Vendrin
<fluff> vendrin is like a drug
Magonushi
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Magonushi »

yup that's the idea of standardization.
Current PC: Helga Hornraven
Next PC: Coming Soon
Keith Mac
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Keith Mac »

Kinda silly to say that a "all" monsters be standardized(Orcs be the same on all servers and making them all similar period), is that realistic as an expectation...Maybe Im reading the statement wrong?
Amar
Ogre

Post by Amar »

Right now Orcs on one server can be killed by an infant. While orcs on another server requires Divine Intervention.

And I agree with the op.
Stormseeker
Orc Champion

Post by Stormseeker »

I agree...if the dm wants to have some special orcs then he can make them non static monsters...and drop them when he needs them.
*grumbles*its a old argument.
ecclessia
Dire Badger

Post by ecclessia »

+1
The Universal Gathered

Retired: Sascha Vylfaeth, Elven Street Rat of Waterdeep
Current: Gavriel Mirror, Socialite of Sargauth Cavern
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

Stormseeker wrote:I agree...if the dm wants to have some special orcs then he can make them non static monsters...and drop them when he needs them.
*grumbles*its a old argument.
Just wait until you see Southkrypt...
bartleby
Brown Bear

Post by bartleby »

but I'd beg to differ especially if merchants too were more realistic. Not every weapons dealer is going to want to by your rusted broad sword, and not every map barkeep is going to want to by rum off of someone who walks into his bar. Seriously speaking when is the last time Triple A bought a map off of you? Merchants shouldn't buy back most items even those they specialize in selling. Pawn shops or auction houses would naturally be different but these should be few and far between in order to encourage the policy of "take what you need" when looting fallen NPCs/Monsters.
The way merchants are handled in nwn is horrible. Im still of the opinion that a clunky script would work better than the patch work that is a nwn merchant.

Hope they fix them ... if not id certainly be willing to try to help with figuring something out to make them more interactive and "realistic".
ecclessia
Dire Badger

Post by ecclessia »

Shops in Skullport, when first I redid them, only rebought items if canon said they did, and they only rebought items that made sense for the store. Every merchant was unique. This is doable now, it should be standard with NWN2.
The Universal Gathered

Retired: Sascha Vylfaeth, Elven Street Rat of Waterdeep
Current: Gavriel Mirror, Socialite of Sargauth Cavern
Sandermann
Rust Monster

Post by Sandermann »

some examples.

these are all of course NWN1 models, but the scripts and system to achieve "standardised randomisation" (oohh..buzzword) are there, and cn be carried over to NWN2. All we need is a standard set of creatures for the palette, and hopefully some rules on CRs (ie on NC2 we have no creature over CR6 except named NPCs, except giants and monstrous types. And no static spawned creature over CR8)
PC: Liasola Dark Arrow
Ex PC: Arzit'el Tlabbar

Blindhamsterman : "I think Sand may have just won the internet"
Aerthrin
Brown Bear

Post by Aerthrin »

Hopefully the base mod philosophy can take care of that. If DM's pluck their spawns from that mod, then this will all take care of itself. As far merchants, they should and likely will be much more canon related and standardized in alfa2... i think lessons learned will carry over if the builders/scripters and admins can agree on a basis for wealth to implement in that base mod. We are close now, I think, so putting in the little tweeks shouldn't be too difficult.

I agree with the op as well. Let's standardize it all, and leave the custom bits to the server/builders and their respective DM's.

//aer
Currently: Sam'saer Blackbow - NWN2/TSM
RIP: Rukis Torhammer, Finn the Black, Elisaer the Wit, Gumphy Blackforge and 'ol Deg

<Ayergo> For the record, i'd like to say that the blackforge brothers r0xx0r.
Tridisus
Retired

Post by Tridisus »

I do think that on the base module building team, a group of creature developers should have a foot hold, their main job will be creating core creatures (orcs, goblins, skeletons), then with the base module you have the creatures set up already. A lot of dms can contribute with giving ideas such as fire rats, vampiric badgers and plague zombies these creatures can be tested then submitted then they will be combined together into a "creature pack" and then imported back into modules. The balacing of these creatures would be left to the team.

The great thing about standardising all these common creatures is when you change servers you dont get a nasty shock when you get killed by a squirrel ;)
ALFA (2000-??)
Past:
HDM and Builder Chessenta NWN1
DM and Builder Legends of Greyhawk NWN1
DM and Builder Exodus NWN2
Current:
Builder and DM Moonshae's
DM BG and WHL

Smoke me a kipper, I will be back for breakfast!!!